Thread: App for calculation of shutter speed

Real Name
    Russell

App for calculation of shutter speed

Hi, OK I no there is an app for iphones to calculate shutter speed when using a 9 or 10 stop filter but does anyone no if there is an app for the run of the mill ordinary mobile phone that most people probably use?, you no the phone that you make phone calls on

Thanks
    Russ

Real Name
    Allan Short

Re: App for calculation of shutter speed

try longtime exposure calculator it will do up to 20 stops, I use it on my iphone, I have had it for over a year now, some people I spend time with in Iceland have had it for over a year before I got my phone and installed it. Look in apple's ape store under photography or type in the name I gave you.

Cheers

Allan

Real Name
    Russell

Quote Originally Posted by Polar01 View Post
    try longtime exposure calculator it will do up to 20 stops, I use it on my iphone, I have had it for over a year now, some people I spend time with in Iceland have had it for over a year before I got my phone and installed it. Look in apple's ape store under photography or type in the name I gave you.

Cheers

Allan
    Allan, thanks for reply but as I stated in my OP "app for the run of the mill ordinary mobile phone" I don't have an iPhone and cannot justify buying one just for this app.
    Thanks again
    Russ

I think you will need to be a little more specific. Which make and model of phone do you have? Pointless people offering suggestions for one phone type only to find you don't have that phone.

Real Name
    Bobo

Sorry don't know but would like info for Android if it has something like the ones mentioned for the iphone.

Real Name
    Russell

Hi, Thank you for replies but it appears if an app is made for Apple iPhone or iPod it will only work with them and I have searched but cannot find an app for any other mobile phone to calculate shutter speed when an ND filter is attached.
    Thanks again
    Russ

Real Name
    Allan Short

Russell: I do not know if this would help, I can across this and printed it out. also yu might be able to bookmark it as a web page. It is a spread sheet of shutter speeds for up to 10 f-stops for ND filters. the web address is as folows:

http://manikphotographe.files.wordpr...05/chart-2.jpg

Cheers:

Allan

Real Name
    Russell

Quote Originally Posted by Polar01 View Post
    Russell: I do not know if this would help, I can across this and printed it out. also yu might be able to bookmark it as a web page. It is a spread sheet of shutter speeds for up to 10 f-stops for ND filters. the web address is as folows:

http://manikphotographe.files.wordpr...05/chart-2.jpg

Cheers:

Allan
    Hi, Many Thanks Allan, these can be very helpfull I assumed that the app for the iphone/ipad would speed it up a bit.
    Thanks again
    Russ

Real Name
    Bobo

Quote Originally Posted by russellsnr View Post
    Hi, Thank you for replies but it appears if an app is made for Apple iPhone or iPod it will only work with them and I have searched but cannot find an app for any other mobile phone.....
    Russ,
    I may be missing something here but you seem to be asking for an app without telling us what phone you have. The world is not divided into just iPhone / Every other phone. There a many different makes and models of "other phones" - nokia, sony errikson, android, blackberry and more. An app for a Blackberry phone won't work on iPhone or on any of the other types of mobile phone.

Unless you say what make and model of phone you have it is very hard for people to offer meaningful, helpful advise.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by dan marchant View Post
    The world is not divided into just iPhone / Every other phone.
    It is for us iPhone users

Without knowing your phone's model number, it's difficult to help, but I suspect that a "run of the mill ordinary mobile phone" may not be able to support external applications anyway. Typically a smartphone is needed for this. (I don't have one either.)

Pen and paper make a good alternative and you can always use websites to do the calculations. The sheet posted by Allen looks good too. Either way, I feel that such long exposures give more of a margin of error. If the "proper" exposure were ten minutes (for example), you would need to expose for 20 minutes to overexpose by just one stop. Metering systems vary, so you may need to guess and check a bit anyhow.

Best of luck
    Last edited by DoesNotFollow; 28th March 2012 at 06:45 AM.

Real Name

Just use in-camera metering without the filter and double it 10 times. As Job mentioned, there's a pretty wide margin with long exposures. Truth be known, around sunrise or sunset, it's the changing light that's more difficult to compensate for.

Real Name
    Russell

Hi, As you can see I live in Greece and yesterday a friend who owns a company selling mobile phones came for a holiday
    so I asked the best price for an iphone? when he told me what they cost I got back up of the floor and decided to buy a note pad and pen, print off the chart from Allen and spend the change on a new lens
    Then had a look at the ipod touch and I believe you can use the app on one of those and you can also listen to music
    Photography and Music together now your talking
    Russ

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by russellsnr View Post
    I asked the best price for an iphone? when he told me what they cost I got back up of the floor and decided to buy a note pad and pen
    Hi Russell,

The initial outlay is quite high, but they hold their value well - so subsequent upgrades only cost a few hundred dollars. The latest iPod touches are pretty much identical to the phones in terms of functionality (apart from the phone part, but you can even make phone calls on them using Skype if you're in WiFi coverage).

The functionality is amazing though everything from scanner & PDF generator to stethoscope and everything in between.