Thread: Probably the dumbest question of the year

Real Name
    Christina

Probably the dumbest question of the year

I just purchased a used camera. It is a Nikon D100 which came with a Tamron 200-400 mm lens...

I have attached the long lens, and of course I want to check it out right away, but the lens will not turn to allow me to zoom in or out. ie; it seems to be locked at 200 mm... I can't find a button anywhere on the camera that will unlock the lens.

Thank you in advance

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Probably the dumbest question of the year

Christina

Have you checked the lens itself. Is there a lock/unlock slider/button?

I'm trying find details of the lens. Maybe others know the answer.

And, remember, there is no such thing as a dumb question on CiC.

Real Name
    Christina

Yes, and I can't find a button but will keep looking.
    Thank you.

Real Name
    Christina

I just learned that the lens just pulls out to zoom (instead of turning like I'm used to)... How silly is that!

Thank you... Now I can try it out!

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Christina

Here is the user manual.

I'm not seeing anything about a locking/unlocking mechanism on the lens, but please read it more carefully than I have.

Did you see the lens in action? Was the zoom mechanism working?

EDIT - I see our posts crossed. Anyway, I hope the link to the manual is helpful.

Real Name
    Christina

Thank you. Yes the user manual will be most helpful. Obviously, I need one.

Real Name
    Richard

You are certainly not the only one to have something like that happen...

I had the dummest fear a couple of years ago. Somehow, I just couldn't get my camera to fire using my newly arrived Canon 70-200mm f/4L IS lens. The problem: The lens came with the focus limited turned on and I was too close to achieve focus. No problem once I realized what was happening but, I had a sickening feeling for a minute or two. However, I never expected the focus limiter to be turned on when I got the lens...

Real Name
    Christina

Thank you... Already I'm feeling better about my silly question

Real Name
    Peter

I set my Nikon D7000 to bracketing once and forgot to turn it off i was worried for a while that I had broken it as it kept taking under exposed and over exposed shots, when it was new i set it to remote only and took quite a bit to figure why I couldn't take a photo.
    Peter

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Christina, I suspect that many, many of us can honestly say...

Been there, done that, got the tee-shirt, took it out and burned it.

It's all part of the learning process. The important thing is too be able to laugh heartily at yourself, forgive yourself, and move on as older and wiser individual.

Real Name
    Christina

Thank you everyone for sharing your moments No doubt it will make others feel very welcome, whatever the question. What a wonderful, welcoming forum!

Real Name
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Poider View Post
    I set my Nikon D7000 to bracketing once and forgot to turn it off i was worried for a while that I had broken it as it kept taking under exposed and over exposed shots, when it was new i set it to remote only and took quite a bit to figure why I couldn't take a photo.
    Peter
    In over 50 years of photography I have committed just about every type of blunder (and hopefully learned from them) that could be committed.

I once had a problem that was just the opposite of Peter's. Early in my DSLR career; I set my Canon 10D camera for AEB shooting in Carlsbad Caverns, New Mexico. I wanted to have three exposures of each shot to composite into HDR imagery.

However, I needed to switch batteries half way through the Caverns. I didn't realize, at the time, that the default for Canon DSLR, AEB is for the camera to revert to normal exposure once it is turned off. So I had AEB exposures through half of my shots and three identical exposures of each shot for the rest of the Cavern tour.

I would think that Nikon's default is more logical than Canon's. With a Canon camera, you need to go into the Menu Custom Functions in orer to retain selected AEB after the camera has been shut down. I would rather that the camera never choose anthing that I do not instruct it to select or deselect.

The first three things I do with every Canon DSLR camera is to set the date/time; set it so it cannot be fired without a CF card; and set it so that once AEB is selected, it is retained until I deselect it.

Forgetting to deselect AEB is no problem with my Canon cameras. If I leave the camera in burst mode, it will fire three exposure bracketed shots and stop firing. Therefore I won't miss any images, although I might have some extra and unwanted over and under exposures. That isn't any great problem because I always have sufficient memory with me. When and if I remember to switch from burst to single shot mode, I can usually remember to also switch back to normal, non-bracketed exposure.
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 24th March 2012 at 02:52 PM.