Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Put your money where your mouth is

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Put your money where your mouth is

Okay, something a bit different.

I tend to go on a bit about how I prefer to make my images on the basis of having visited a location and then take time to go back and make the image that forms in my head. Well ..........

A few weeks ago I passed this location early one morning when it was quite foggy. This is a screen grab from Google Earth.

The weather forecast for tomorrow morning (Saturday, March 24th) is - Fog! Hurrah!

Sunrise is at 6:05 am. So I need to be out of bed at 4:30am and on the road just after 5am. So, I am saying that, tomorrow, I plan to make the image of this tree and this ruined building that I've had in my head for quite a few weeks. I even have a name for the finished image (but I'll share what that's about if I make an image worthy of keeping).

Then you can judge whether I have any vision!

I'll let you know how it goes.

Put your money where your mouth is
    Last edited by Donald; 23rd March 2012 at 05:36 PM.

Real Name
    Sharon

Re: Put your money where your mouth is

I really look forward to seeing what you create. It cerainly has a lovely feel to it and as fog was in your initial concept I imagine it will be very atmospheric and desolate.

Are you going for a mono , square crop?

Can I ask what lens/es you are planning to use?.

N.b..Remember and take a flask of soup!

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Mae View Post
    Are you going for a mono , square crop?

Can I ask what lens/es you are planning to use?.
    Yes It will be mono and square.

Behind this view above, the road drops away into what looks like pretty boggy ground. Plan A is to get into that and walk quite a way back and use the Canon 70-200 f4 L IS at a fairly long length. I'm still not finally decided if I want the background to the cottage to be all sky, or whether I want to have a bit of the higher land behind it creeping up the walls. It is the latter I think, but we'll see. Because this image is all about the land and the fact that people used to live and work in it but were forcibly cleared off it. So, having the land encroach onto the walls of the house, appeals to me.

I also want to get across that wall and fence and get up close to look at what using the Tokina 11-16mm to have the tree towering over the cottage, would look like. But that is an alternative that I have a picture of in my head, but don't see it as the image I want.

What must be in it, however, is the sense of desolation and isolation, but a place where life was once lived by families.

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Mae View Post
    N.b..Remember and take a flask of soup!
    It's already sitting out in the kitchen waiting to be filled up in the morning.

Real Name
    Andrew

What a great idea Donald! I'm excited to see how you make out... Keep us posted!

Real Name
    Sharon

Thank you for such a detailed response Donald. I am really interested to see how this turns out.

My husband comes from Strathy/Bettyhill area in Sutherland so I understand that desire to shoot that strange juxstaposition of desolation and beauty that exists in clearance areas of Scotland and speaks for the unspeakable hardships of the people driven off the land to be replaced by ( more profitable) sheep.

Real Name
    Toņo

Donald

Within 6 hours you will be about to hit the road and begin your quest for the image you gently described to us. I hope I'll be in a deep sleep that will last two more hours. But I tell you I wish you luck and the right amount of fog you need for the image. I'm eager to see the result!

Toņo

Real Name
    Steve

Look at that; it is almost getting up time. Looks good and very bleak.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Yes, I did it. Was up at 4:30am. Just back home (12:50pm) having had a wonderful morning out in the most glorious, desolate countryside.

At times there was too much fog and I couldn't see anything. But waiting for it to lift a bit with nothing visible and the only noise the sound of birds singing and sheep bleating, was an experience to savour.

So, now to work on processing the images.
    Last edited by Donald; 24th March 2012 at 07:46 PM.

Real Name
    Nigel Holmes

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Was up at 4:30am.
    It will be an early night tonight then Donald! Really looking forward to seeing the results.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Squidgy View Post
    It will be an early night tonight then Donald! Really looking forward to seeing the results.

It will indeed.

The main object of the exercise is here. I also got some others that I'm working on and will post up over the course of the week