Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Next Lens Help

Real Name
    Niall

Next Lens Help

Hi.

I currently shooting with a D7000 and stock 18 - 105mm lens. I also have a 55 - 200mm VR and a 85mm macro.

Thinking of getting a 50mm f1.8 AF lens from Nikon. The reviews seam to be too good to be true for the price of 100 pounds. I really want a 10 - 24 wide angle but dont have the cash at the moment.

Any advice welcome should I keep the 100 pounds and put it towards the wide angle or will I get good use out of the 50mm?

Real Name
    Bill S

Re: Next Lens Help

Niall,

I have the equivalent 50mm f/1.8 lens for my Canon camera (it is similarly in that 'too good to be true' price range as well). I'll be honest with you - for what I paid for it, it exceeds my expectations. It is a fun lens to play with, works well in low light situations, fun for portraits (though I don't do many), etc... If you find yourself using that focal length often (since you already have two lenses in that range) but would like a shallower DoF, then I'd say it is a perfect investment.

Alternatively, on the 10-24 side of things, have you considered the Sigma 10-20 lens? I bought the Sigma 10-20 and about six months later, my buddy spent a significant bit more on the Canon 10-22. To be honest with you, I don't notice too much of a difference between the two. The barrel distortion is different, but that is easily fixed in ACR. The Canon does have a slightly lower minimum aperture, but for wide angle stuff, I'm rarely worried about super shallow DoF anyway....

Just a thought.

- Bill

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

You seem to have the range covered with your two zooms. Even some overlap between them so 50mm is effectively covered with both lenses (55 is close enough to 50 in my estimation).

So do you need/want the low light capability? Or do you need/want the nice bokeh when shot wide open for portraits or whatever?

Use the three step guide to buying; use in sequence of increasing weight in the calculations. One no and the purchase is off.
    1)Do you want it?
    2)Do you need it?
    3) Can you afford it?

I forgot number four (will your wife or husband kill you?)

Real Name
    Siggi-short for Siegfried

Have Nikon 50mm 1.8-awesome-tiny and light-best value for money ever.Even scenic shots are great

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by NiallPur View Post
    Hi.

I currently shooting with a D7000 and stock 18 - 105mm lens. I also have a 55 - 200mm VR and a 85mm macro.

Thinking of getting a 50mm f1.8 AF lens from Nikon. The reviews seam to be too good to be true for the price of 100 pounds. I really want a 10 - 24 wide angle but dont have the cash at the moment.

Any advice welcome should I keep the 100 pounds and put it towards the wide angle or will I get good use out of the 50mm?
    If it is the 50mm f/1.8 D then the low cost is because it does not have an internal focusing motor. But your D7000 should be able to AF with this lens, some older Nikon models cannot.

Real Name
    Allan Short

Niall remember that at 50mm on the D7000 is equal to 75mm as all the 50mm are FX lens, I have that len 1.8 D and here in Canada it goes for about your 100 pounds. If you went to the 35mm f2.0D about twice the price but it you equal 50mm on the D7000. What I my self did was get the 16-85mm DX lens good wide angel and will cover over the low end of the 55-200, my 16-85 is my main go to lens, if I need longer than I go to my 70-300mm FX lens. The glass is very good I fine in the 16-85, however it is about 5 times more, I believe that you would have more fun with it than the 50mm.

Cheers

Allan

Real Name
    Niall

Thanks for all the advice, I am going to the camera shop to try both the 35mm and 50mm but from the web reviews and feedback above I think the 50mm is for me. Thanks again and happy shooting.....

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

I'm not sure why you would want spend the money, as you already have the focal length covered unless you are looking for that little bit of extra speed out of the lens. I own both the 35mm f/1.8G and the 50mm f/1.8D. I use both for street photograhy, simply because they are so small and unobtrusive and fairly fast in low light.

My usually walkabout lens is the 35mm, but I do switch to the 50mm when I want a short telephoto on my D90. I can't comment on the 18 - 105mm, as I have never used it.