Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: New to HDR

Real Name
    Keith

New to HDR

So I'm new to the forums and HDR. Decided I'd give it a shot this evening since I had a nice sun set for once, /grumble living at the bottom of a creek bed.

Anyway, this was a series of 7 exposures merged with CS3 merge automate and nothing else done. It's not full -2, 0, +2. It's more of -1,0,+1 with stops inbetween.

test_hdr1.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Colin Southern; 20th June 2009 at 03:50 AM.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Re: New to HDR

Hi Keith,

Welcome to CiC - great to have you with us.

Great first effort - just a couple of things that spring to mind for next time ...

1. You've got a big "dust bunny" in the middle of the screen - something you might like to clone out in future. (once I get out of the RAW converter and in to Photoshop "proper", dust spot removal is pretty much the first thing I do (even before capture sharpening)

2. Even though you've processed the image with the Merge to HDR option, all images still need things like levels adjustments and local dodging / burning to make them look their best - in this case you could probably comfortably lift the shadow levels quite considerably.

PS: There's usually little to be gained with 1 EV exposure steps - usually 2 or so is most efficient.

Real Name
    Keith

Ah see that's good to know. I basically just shot images and mashed them together. I've always been a fix it in the camera person but that's not to say i cant or wont use photoshop to correct an image. i also wasnt sure if shooting in raw would be that much help but i really should just accept that its the best way and do it.

that stupid spot has been taunting me for a month now. i got my camera cleaned about 3 months ago and that thing showed up.

anyway, i think i was misreading and being hasty in shooting these images. went for just one click on my control wheels, which is 1/3 stop. doh!

well ill keep all that in mind and be back with another try! this stuff is exciting.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by starsage56 View Post

that stupid spot has been taunting me for a month now. i got my camera cleaned about 3 months ago and that thing showed up.
    If it was there right after the cleaning - but not before - then I'd suggest that they didn't check it very well!

I had a similar experience once - I mucked up a sensor cleaning something chronic - sent it to Canon - who had to remove the sensor to clean it - did a 1/2 hearted job - sent it back - I took 1 test shot - sent it back to them - they had to remove the sensor again (senior tech this time) and do it all a 2nd time.

It was great that they didn't charge me for taking the sensor out etc, but really quite frustrating that I had to return it the 2nd time (quite an exercise from where I live).

Check out this guy IMHO awesome
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/sqbbe/s...th/2410119568/
    Leigh
    Last edited by Colin Southern; 2nd August 2009 at 02:31 AM.