Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Transformer or Adaptor for Peru

Real Name
    Soma

Transformer or Adaptor for Peru

I'm travelling to Peru in a couple weeks, my first time out of North America. As far as I can tell after researching, as long as my electronic devices are variable voltage they will work in Peru, no transformer needed? I may need an adaptor to the "type c" round prong plugs?
    I'm concerned primarily with my Canon camera battery charger, my eneloops recharger and my netbook power supply. This almost seems too good to be true. I just assumed I'd have to buy yet another gadget. I've already spent a fortune on a new 7D, tripod, Speedlite, filters, remotes, batteries, bags, shoes, pouches, boxes, straps and the like. I don't think I'll actually have any room for even a toothbrush let alone a change of clothes.

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

Re: Transformer or Adaptor for Peru

If aren't traveling with someone you care to have a long term relationship with then the toothbrush,deodorant,soap and change of clothes are optional. Take more photography gear, this may be your only opportunity to photograph in Peru and you can always make new friends when you get home if they object too strenuously to your odor or appearance.

As for the adapter; most local electronics stores will have a travel adapter kit for international electric outlets. Mine fits into a pouch just a little larger than a rolled up hiking sock.

Real Name
    Richard

Good news... This web site provides information on the various electrical components (plugs, etc) used throughout the world.

http://www.kropla.com/electric2.htm

Bad news... This website indicates that Peru uses BOTH the USA style Type A (two prong) and Type B (three prong grounded) plugs as well as the European Type C (two pin) Europlug.

A converter from a USA to a Europlug should be all you need for Peru. These are relatively inexpensive and very light in weight...

I am sure that there are other and possible less expensive converters available, but here is a site for just about any type of plug converter.

http://www.adaptelec.com/travel-plug-adapters-c-1.html

Yes, we are lucky in that our Canon battery chargers, Eneloop battery chargers and most (if not all) notebook computers can work on USA or the higher 220/240 voltages. This makes traveling far easier.

A mini power strip and one plug converter would be all you you need for all your electrical uses. Such as this...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/8-short-3AC-...item4601ee4c26

BTW: I don't know where you are staying in Peru but, the better hotels in China all seem to have an American style outlet in the bathroom for shavers. They also have plug adapters available at the desk to loan out.
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 20th March 2012 at 10:10 PM.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Soma,

I was going to suggest the distro board idea but Richard beat me to it

Just one word of warning - if you buy one in the States, it may have internal filtering or surge protection components (or an indicator lamp) that are only rated for 110v - connect it to 220-230v via an adaptor and "BANG!" - I have seen the result.

Possibly won't harm your kit, but plugging the Power Strip in first, with nothing else connected to it, is probably a good idea anyway.
    However, the "bang" may blow a fuse somewhere in the hotel that can't be quickly replaced

Do check the moulded in writing on all your power bricks and chargers before you go, these days most are indeed capable of accepting anything between 100 and 230v.

Do have a good trip and remember to show us the pictures

Cheers,

Real Name
    Mark Fleming

Soma,

Can you not just pick up a multi adapter? This is mine,

I've used this one all over the world with various gadgets with no problems anywhere. The make is GSHK.

Real Name
    Mark Fleming

Ooops,

Sorry guys, wrong setting on the P & S. Thought I was shooting small.

Real Name
    Ken Z.

I spent last October in many remote areas of Peru. I also use a Canon 7d. Fortunately the camera battery chargers and laptop adapters all can handle either 110 or 220 volts. You don't need a transformer but just a multi prong adapter as prior folks have illustrated. Having a couple of them wouldn't hurt if you need to charge more than one thing at a time in your room. In many of the remote areas I visited, power availability was the problem. Lots of remote camps only run the generator a few hours a day and in some camps power was only available in the main lodge for a few hours. All of those had multiple power strips in the main lodge for accessory charging. In a number of remote camps we stayed in, the only light in the room was a candle or two. Be sure to have a headlamp, flashlight(torch to the English folks) and extra batteries. It really gets dark in the jungle. And, take a few cold showers for practice. However, if you're doing the Macchu Pichu, Valley of the Incas thing, you'll be staying in comfortable places.

Real Name
    Soma

Thank you everyone for the advice. It's nice to know I have one less thing to be concerned about and a reletively inexpensive solution. My travel companion is not at all a girly girl and spent a year in Bahgdad and is in Kabul right now. I doubt I could manage to offend her but I'll make room for a toothbrush just in case. We'll be staying in (in my opinion) cushy hotels so I don't foresee any power problems. I spend plenty of time out in the "wild" here in Northern Michigan so being in cities surrounded by people/tourists should be a nice change of pace.

Real Name
    Richard

If All Else Fails... I have a second battery charger from which I can charge from a 12-volt automotive system.

I have one for my BP511A batteries and a second for my LP-E6 batteries. I have only used the 12V charging two times but, each time it was great to have. The price of a 12V and AC battery charger is minimal.