Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Moss on logs

Real Name
    Neil McAllister

Moss on logs

Taken this morning on a short walk,not sure of the colours of the mosses after some work in Lightroom.

Moss on logs

Re: Moss on logs

Yes, Neil, the logs possibly seem a bit on the blue side. But the trouble with this scene is that there isn't any pure white from which to calculate a true White Balance.

And I may consider a slight crop from the bottom and left side to reduce the area of out of focus foreground just a little.

Real Name
    Neil McAllister

Thanks for that advice Geoff,I went back into Lightroom and adjusted the colours of the wood as someone else said they had a purple look to them which I agreed with and thanks for the idea of the crop.It certainly helps when another set of eyes looks at a picture and quite often spots an obvious mistake to be corrected.Cheers, Neil.

Real Name
    Neil McAllister

Here is the revised image.

Moss on logs

Real Name
    Hazel

It is an interesting shot. I prefer the revised version but still find the log colour a bit 'off' somehow. I'm not even sure what is striking my eye wrong - likely still a bit purply for my taste.

But old logs do turn a darkish grey colour.

I suppose you could try adding a fraction of red to see what that does, although it may well be in vain if you lose the true green colour from the leaves.

Real Name
    Neil McAllister

Had another look at this in Lightroom,adjusting the red slider did'nt make any difference,however the purple slider which was at -62 I moved completly across and this did seems to marginally improve it.Thanks for your thoughts on this, Neil.