Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Sony DSLR cameras

Real Name
    Charlie

Sony DSLR cameras

Anyone have experience regarding Sony DSLR cameras? Are they reliable? I saw a Sony SLT a55 with a kit lens, 18 - 55 mm zoom lens on display at Best Buy, yesterday. It looked like it was a plastic housing. It was a manual zoom lens. It had a rough spot in the operation of the zoom lens. I'm glad I discovered this. I almost bought this camera and the 18-55 mm. zoom lens. It is apparent that Sony packaged a cheaply constructed lens with the a55. I understand the Zeiss makes lenses for this camera. I assume Zeiss puts more quality construction in their lenses. Any advice about Sony DSLR's or higher quality lenses for the a55?

Real Name
    Paul

Re: Sony DSLR cameras

I can't speak to the A35 or A55 but I know people whom are happy with them. Although I agree the kit lens for them leaves much to be desired. I myself thought about the A55 but once I handled it I waited for the A77. The A77 is much larger bobied wich I like and also has a metal frame. It is also weathersealed along with its kit lens the 16-50mm 2.8 which is a very nice lens indeed. As for how they hold up, they are on par with everyone else and while I have not had the need I have heard customer service is a bit better. Zeis does make some lenses for Sony but as with any manufacture Sony has an upper end line as well. My 70-400G is such a lens and I love it. It is claimed to be the top 400mm zoom on the market as far as IQ and the build quality is fantastic. Sony is continueing their push to add to the lens selection as this has been their shortcoming having got into the market well after everyone else.
    Hope this helps.

Real Name
    Robin

Most kit lenses are pretty rough to be honest so don't be concerned about the build of the Sony you tried. Pick up a Canon or Nikon and they will feel the same.
    One thing to remember is the A55 isn't a SLR (Single Lens Reflex),it is a SLT (Single Lens Translucent) camera. Lots of arguments for and against but really it boils down to getting one in your hands and trying the viewfinder. You will either love it or hate it.

Real Name
    Paul

Thanks Robin,
    Two big things I neglected to mention and one being another reason I went with the A77. The viewfinder. 100% view and sans the shortcomings of the others. I actually love it and would rather it than my previous optical view finders.

Real Name
    Alexander Rose

Jeeperman, all the new SLTs with an EVF offer a 100% FoV.

Real Name
    Paul

I thought they were, the difference is the A77 is OLED. Much higher resolution and from what I understand there was some issue with moving objects with the SLTs prior the OLED which is a 1st in the A77. When I checked out the A35 and A55 it was not horrible but had a few glitches I noticed coming from an optica, I think they would likely be quite adequate for mostl. In the A77 I like the OLED better than my optical.