Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: The Fiddler.

Real Name
    James G Soto

The Fiddler.

Street musician, Balboa Park San Diego CA Nikon D80 Exp. time 1/60 sec. ISO 100, 18mm.

The Fiddler.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Re: The Fiddler.

Hi James! Nice composition and I really like the expression on his face. He appears to be enjoying himself immensely.

Because text takes our eyes off the subject, I would change is the sign behind him, if possible.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Jerry/James,

If I had the guts, I think I would have asked him to move about 5-6 feet to his left and shoot at same lateral angle (i.e. you move with him), but you may want to get a little lower, perhaps enough to place his dark cap in front on one of those pale pillars behind.

That would remove both the significant crack and the signposts growing out of his head. A little more exposure wouldn't go amiss either.

I don't mind the water bottle, but the bit of paper under the chair should go too.

A reshoot would be better, but if you wanted some PP practice, much of that could be done in PP.

For 18mm on a Nikon D80, you have done well to control any perspective distortion, or was it a crop from a wider view?

This does come across as a very 'natural' view, such as we would see walking past this gentleman, rather than many people's distant and shot with a telephoto (compressed perspective) street photography.
    I suppose my suggestion to shoot lower would destroy the 'passing adult' viewpoint though.

Hope that helps,

Real Name
    Myra

Love street portraits! Jerry, did you try de-saturating it a bit to see if you could create a bit of an "old world" look. It's great as is, don't get me wrong, I just like playing around with timeless subjects to see what other moods can be achieved

Real Name
    James G Soto

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Hi Jerry/James,

If A reshoot would be better, but if you wanted some PP practice, much of that could be done in PP.

For 18mm on a Nikon D80, you have done well to control any perspective distortion, or was it a crop from a wider view?

This does come across as a very 'natural' view, such as we would see walking past this gentleman, rather than many people's distant and shot with a telephoto (compressed perspective) street photography.
    I suppose my suggestion to shoot lower would destroy the 'passing adult' viewpoint though.

Hope that helps,
    After PP, what do you all think?

The Fiddler.
    Last edited by Jerry Soto; 18th March 2012 at 04:30 PM.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi James,

You've done a very good job on the cloning there, but if mine I would also remove;
    the kerb stone joint gap
    the white stencil painted number "6"
    the white bird poo(?) mark by his left foot
    possibly the leaf in the gutter too

Beyond that, the colour of his chair is rather 'eye catching', if it could be recoloured in less bright, non primary/secondary colour, but don't ask me how, my attempts at that sorta thing usually end up looking worse

Cheers,

Real Name
    James G Soto

Quote Originally Posted by Maritimer1 View Post
    Love street portraits! Jerry, did you try de-saturating it a bit to see if you could create a bit of an "old world" look. It's great as is, don't get me wrong, I just like playing around with timeless subjects to see what other moods can be achieved
    Here we go, what do you all think?

The Fiddler.

Maybe this will work better , what do you all think?
    The Fiddler.

Thank you Myra for taking a look and for your suggestions, it was a lot of fun.

The Fiddler.
    Last edited by Jerry Soto; 18th March 2012 at 10:29 PM.

Real Name
    Myra

I like the sepia tones, Jerry, especially since you've removed the signs. Take out the bottle and the photo could have been taken anytime in the past fifty or so years.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Soto View Post
    Here we go, what do you all think?
    Maybe this will work better , what do you all think?
    The Fiddler.
    Sometimes suggestions for changes seem to go on forever. To me, it is looking better but the more important thing is do you like the changes and are you enjoying in the process?

Real Name
    James G Soto

Quote Originally Posted by FrankMi View Post
    Sometimes suggestions for changes seem to go on forever. To me, it is looking better but the more important thing is do you like the changes and are you enjoying in the process?
    Frank, I am really enjoying the challenge that the critiques are giving me and at the same time allowing me to improve my skills and at the same time… this is the last PP on this Photo, I don’t want to bore any one

The Fiddler.
    Last edited by Jerry Soto; 18th March 2012 at 08:24 PM.

Real Name
    John

James,
    what a great thread you have started here. By adjusting you picture to accommodate everyone's suggestions has been most interesting for us watching.
    A great piece of PP by you; well done.

Real Name
    James G Soto

Quote Originally Posted by JPS View Post
    James,
    what a great thread you have started here. By adjusting you picture to accommodate everyone's suggestions has been most interesting for us watching.
    A great piece of PP by you; well done.
    Thank you John for taking a look.