Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: In the water

Real Name
    Bobo

In the water

A change from the usual ducks and geese that seem to be the only things appearing before me.

1. Common Goldeneye
    In the water

2. Long-tailed Duck (female)
    In the water

3. Long-tailed Duck (male)
    In the water

4. American Coot
    In the water

5. Common Merganser (Male)
    In the water

Real Name
    Dan

Re: In the water

Good shot of the merganser in particular. They are really hard to get close to, and catching one in that pose is great. good framing too, with open space in front.

The bobo is nice, with the ripples and reflection, but it seems to be a little lacking in snap. Looks to me as though you might have limited dynamic range. If so, it would be very easy to give it a little more with curves or even levels.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Bobo, you are master at getting great bird photographs but then I'm sure you got your logon name with hard earned experience!

Real Name
    Paul

Nice shots Bobo, not easy ducks to get well either. I notice red on your coot and a yelloworange bill....I like that coloring better than the coots here with a white bill. Not only are the colors nicer but the white bill is a PITA to not blow out. lol

Real Name
    Bobo

Thanks guys.

We were there for the Snowy but he was too far off for anything good. Took this on the way off the breakwater. The water reflections were murder on the exposure and I had not thought of that or would have mounted the CPL which as luck would have it was in the car. Anyway had to underexpose all the shots sufficiently to prevent the reflections from blowing. Good thing RAW gives some leeway to raise that exposure while still keeping some detail.

There were 3-4 other species there but were too far off for the zoom. It was pretty surprising seeing such a large variety in one area.

@Frank - master ??? Thanks for the uplifting words but far far far from being a master at anything to do with a camera.

Real Name
    james

looks good Bobo I like 5 best

Yes, #5 shows a bit of interesting behaviour.