Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Rainbow Last Night

Real Name
    Chuck Nelson

Rainbow Last Night

I'm still up in northern California and last night we were treated to a beautiful and long lasting rainbow as the setting sun shone through a thundersquall near Mt. Shasta. I scrambled through the brush trying to find an angle for a "great" shot. In the end I didn't get any great shots but I'll post a few that, at least, document the event.

Chuck

Rainbow Last Night

Rainbow Last Night

Rainbow Last Night

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Rainbow Last Night

Quote Originally Posted by CNelson View Post
    In the end I didn't get any great shots...
    Maybe, but #1 has got to rival Colin's entry in last month's challenge for the best complete rainbow.

Chuck,

Nice to see these pictures. I like the first one.

Regards,

Yan

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    #1 has got to rival Colin's entry in last month's challenge for the best complete rainbow.
    Nah

Rainbow Last Night

In all seriousness, I was lucky enough to capture a complete double rainbow - but I don't think I realised it at the time. Chuck, I'm wondering if the same happened to you? - I see that in the first shot you've got the primary rainbow, but did you realise that there's a secondary one there (you'd have needed a wider field of view to get it though).

I was quite lucky that I'd not long taken delivery of a 14mm lens - this on a FF camera hace the above shot, with NO cropping

Real Name
    Chuck Nelson

Hi Colin:

I don't think I saw it on the first shot but I saw it on some of the others. I knew it was there but I wasn't sure the camera would pick it up.

Chuck

Real Name
    Peter

Hi Colin:

I don't think I saw it on the first shot but I saw it on some of the others. I knew it was there but I wasn't sure the camera would pick it up.

Chuck
    Hi Chuck,

great shots. The second rainbow is there in the second shot and, at least on my monitor, you can see part of it in the first shot, top right corner.

Peter

Real Name
    Chris

Great rainbow shots, Chuck and not sure what more you can want.

Nice timing too as I was just reading a section of a book on rainbows and looking at my best 'double', I noticed for the first time that on the outer one, the colour sequence is reversed compared to the inner and 'normal' one.

The 2nd rainbow is clear enough on your first 2 shots. I also like the raying inside the 1st one and that the (comparatively) limited field of view gets some very good value from the landscape.

Lastly, no 3 seems to disobey the usual effect that inside the rainbow is lighter than the outside

wow..great capture, rarely I see full rainbows.
    Here is a "not-so-good" rainbow from me
    Rainbow Last Night

~Ajith

Real Name
    Chuck Nelson

Quote Originally Posted by crisscross View Post
    Great rainbow shots, Chuck and not sure what more you can want.

Nice timing too as I was just reading a section of a book on rainbows and looking at my best 'double', I noticed for the first time that on the outer one, the colour sequence is reversed compared to the inner and 'normal' one.

The 2nd rainbow is clear enough on your first 2 shots. I also like the raying inside the 1st one and that the (comparatively) limited field of view gets some very good value from the landscape.

Lastly, no 3 seems to disobey the usual effect that inside the rainbow is lighter than the outside
    Good catch Crisscross, I didn't know the colors reversed until you mentioned it and I looked. I do notice that the sky or background is usually lighter inside the rainbow than outside. You don't see it so much on my shots but it shows clearly on Colin and Ajith's rainbows.

Chuck

Real Name
    Chris

I didn't know the colors reversed until you mentioned it and I looked. I do notice that the sky or background is usually lighter inside the rainbow than outside. You don't see it so much on my shots but it shows clearly on Colin and Ajith's rainbows.

Chuck
    Your group is interesting Chuck, precisely because it does show some less usual features. My usual thought path is using the camera to record things, noting any differences between how camera and eyes 'see them' and learning. If you short-cut to just getting 'wow' images, it is possibly better photography but less learning about nature and other subjects.