Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: The Souvenir

Real Name
    Frank Miller

The Souvenir

I was thrilled by Ludwig's fantastic flower image in his thread at Spring comes to Georgia and, realizing that he lives nearby, was encouraged to go out and take some Spring flower pictures. So off to the local garden center to see what they have available.

It seems that they have a beautiful selection of Souvenir Oriental Lillies on display so I thought that for my first flower picture of the new year, I'd do a 'before' and 'after'.

Now that I'm back from vacation, I hope you weren't expexcting that 'The Souvenir' would be from one of those tacky tourist shops that make you say 'why in the world did I buy this' as soon as you got it home?

Here is the 'Before'...

The Souvenir

...and, of course, the 'After'.

The Souvenir

Ah yes, Spring is in the air...

Spring is sprung,
    Da grass is riz;
    I wonder where
    Da birdies is?

Real Name
    Paul

Re: The Souvenir

Frank did you get any from the same angle as the before but after? Or maybe the second is just cropped tighter. Nice colors there.....and yes I was looking for the "I survived the photo tour of.....shirt

Real Name
    Bobo

Beautifully done. Beautifully done.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by FrankMi View Post
    The Souvenir
    I particularly like the subtlety of line, tone and shape in this one.

The really clever thing about it, I think, is that although what we have is an image of all the same thing (the same type of flower), we are in no doubt as to what the main subject is. Our attention is directed towards that large head. And that's done not just by the fact it is larger, but by composition, lighting, management of tone.

And for all us aspiring to this sort of image, that's a very good lesson to take on board.
    Last edited by Donald; 14th March 2012 at 10:22 AM.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Quote Originally Posted by jeeperman View Post
    Frank did you get any from the same angle as the before but after? Or maybe the second is just cropped tighter. Nice colors there.....and yes I was looking for the "I survived the photo tour of.....shirt
    Hi Paul, these were both taken yesterday afternoon so they are two different plants and yes, the second was cropped tighter because I wasn't thinking ahead when I took them so the 'before' was in portrait orentation and the 'after' was in landscape mode. When I got the images home, I liked both but in getting them to the same orientation for comparison, I had to enlarge the 'after' quite a bit.

If I were to redo these, now that I know what I'm aiming for, I would do both in portrait and bring some additional lighting into play, particularly for the open blossom. Today, however is heavy fog so it may have to wait. Thanks for viewing and your comments!
    Last edited by FrankMi; 14th March 2012 at 12:26 PM.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Thank you Bobo and Donald!

I was struck by the beauty of the unopened blossom and thought to myself that we rarely see images of blossoms that aren't open. I had taken a number of shots of these unopened lily blossoms but this one really stood out as being special.