Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: my fantastic flying dog

Real Name
    glenn

my fantastic flying dog

hi guys just about got him in the frame except for the end of his feet.
    this was jack heading towards my girlfriend julie who was waving a stick to my rightside.
    it was one of those great moments that he came hurtling passed me at great speed in midair.

just a second earlier with the button and i would have got him in full frame.

thanks for looking .regards glenn
    my fantastic flying dog
    what makes this photo more special to me is the fact that only 9months ago jack was knocked down by a van while chasing another dog.he snapped his left front leg and now as got a metal plate in it for life and was out of action for nearly 2 months.but as this photo shows he is now back to full health.
    ps if you zoom into his left leg you should be able to see some black marks near his joint,these are the last signs of his operation.
    Last edited by stardelta; 12th March 2012 at 07:54 PM.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Re: my fantastic flying dog

Not seeing an image Glenn. Did he jump clear out of the frame?

Real Name
    glenn

Quote Originally Posted by FrankMi View Post
    Not seeing an image Glenn. Did he jump clear out of the frame?
    sorry frank me being a numpty its on now

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Great to see that Jack is able to enjoy life after his ordeal. When shooting moving subjects, it can sometimes be helpful to fire off multiple shots in continuous mode to increase your chances of getting a perticularly interesting capture.

Real Name
    Andrew

Hi Glenn - I'm no expert in action photography, so I'll only offer advice that I've learned from others more seasoned than I. When shooting subjects that are, or that appear to be in motion, it is more ideal to have the action appear as though it is 'entering' the photo, rather than leaving. In this particular case, you've given Jack no where to run, and so it leads our eye out of the frame.

But again, I know how hard it is to plan these sorts of things!

Real Name
    glenn

Quote Originally Posted by FrankMi View Post
    Great to see that Jack is able to enjoy life after his ordeal. When shooting moving subjects, it can sometimes be helpful to fire off multiple shots in continuous mode to increase your chances of getting a perticularly interesting capture.
    hi frank i was shooting continous i think it was just the length of his leaps that caused me problems .i took 254 shots in the space of an hour.also the shot your looking at was just one of about 10 on continous shooting jack landed prior too this shot then took off again as he came passed my lens in mid air.

Real Name
    glenn

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew76 View Post
    Hi Glenn - I'm no expert in action photography, so I'll only offer advice that I've learned from others more seasoned than I. When shooting subjects that are, or that appear to be in motion, it is more ideal to have the action appear as though it is 'entering' the photo, rather than leaving. In this particular case, you've given Jack no where to run, and so it leads our eye out of the frame.

But again, I know how hard it is to plan these sorts of things!
    hi andrew i get what your saying about jack leaving the shot ,but it was just the way he flew passed me this was one of about 10 shots on continous shooting.
    this is the shot before as he landed before leaping past my lens in the shot i posted
    my fantastic flying dog

Real Name
    glenn

also one point i should make andrew and frank where i was positioned i could not get any further back due to there being a river behind me,and also i was using my 70-300mm,having just taken the camera and this lens on my sling.
    maybe if i had my 18-55mm on me i may have gotten more of the scene in the shot,am i on the right path thinking that.
    regards glenn

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Hi Glenn, we all face these issues from time to time. I lost a particularly exciting shot because I hadn't anticipated what was about to happen. We all do. The good news is that now that you recognize that, you'll be better prepared for the next opportunity. If it was all that easy, we'd all be professional photographers making fantastic images every time shortly after buying our first camera! Now wouldn't that be boring! LOL!

Real Name
    glenn

Hi Glenn, we all face these issues from time to time. I lost a particularly exciting shot because I hadn't anticipated what was about to happen. We all do. The good news is that now that you recognize that, you'll be better prepared for the next opportunity. If it was all that easy, we'd all be professional photographers making fantastic images every time shortly after buying our first camera! Now wouldn't that be boring! LOL! [/QUOTE]
    dont know frank sounds like a nice dream