Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Elephants

Real Name
    Clive

Elephants

This day was blistering and we’d been driving all day and we were heading back to our campsite when we decided to take a last look a waterhole close to camp. From a distance these two elephants were posed like statues so with fingers crossed we approached hoping they would hold their position. Fortunately the road was kind and we positioned the vehicle so the tree in the background was between the two. The old boys look like they’ve been bleached by the sun.
    Sony DSC H1, 1/500 sec at f/4.0, ISO 64,
    Elephants
    C&C welcome.

Real Name
    JimC

Re: Elephants

Clive nice shot it's like the two split from one. Are these girls in the wild? JimC

Real Name
    Clive

Hi Jim, many thanks. Yes in the wild, it was taken in the Savute region of the Chobe National Park in Botswana.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

I think it might be a gross interference with the scene as present at the time (but maybe not an a unacceptable misrepresentation of the truth, given it's not a news story), but if you were to spend time cloning out the one on the right at the edge of the frame and the one at the back, I think you would end up with an absolute show-stopper.

Brilliant vision to think of trying to get into the position you did with the tree located as it is.

Wonderful piece of work.
    Last edited by Donald; 12th March 2012 at 10:14 AM.

Real Name
    Clive

Hi Donald, many thanks. I did a conversion to B&W and started to clone out the elephant at the back but got tired as LR3 is hard work to remove something so big to an acceptable level. I will attempt the larger one on the right when my patience levels have recharged.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Clive

I look forward to seeing it in B & W. It's magnificent as a colour image. But, and I hope you don't disapprove, I downloaded your image from the forum and tried it myself. And I do think the potential is absolutely enormous.

Real Name
    Clive

Hi Donald, no issue at all. I'm only too pleased that you are making the time and effort, it's always good to see how someone else works and sees the same image.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Thank you Clive. This is one interpretation of what I continue to think is your outstanding original.

Elephants

The cloning was done in the GIMP and then I used Silver Efex Pro2 for the B & W conversion.

Again, if you click on one of these to view it in the lightroom (recommended), you can then flick between each one using the 'previous' and 'next' arrows.
    Last edited by Donald; 13th March 2012 at 01:22 PM.

Real Name
    Clive

Hi Donald. What can I say - fantastic job. Justice has been done to the image without any compromise. It gives me the energy to have a go and try to get to the same standard. I'm impressed and just looked at it again in the lightroom. Wallpaper for sure.