Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Question about reversing lenses

Real Name
    Ted

Question about reversing lenses

As a watch enthusiast, I sometime wish for more than 1:1 magnification for those detail shots of movement parts. I used to get by with the Nikon D50 and a micro-Nikkor 60mm but nowadays I'm using a Sigma SD9 which does have a lower sensor resolution - i.e. smaller sensor and bigger pixels than the D50. Anyhow, I read yesterday that a regular (not close-up) camera lens can, with suitable adapters, be attached backwards onto the front my Sigma 50mm macro lens.

It so happens that I have two lenses left over from the "good" old days (early 80's):

A Carl Zeiss 50mm f/1.8 Pancolar
    A PMC 28mm f/2.8 Super-Paragon

The question is: which one do we think is better for the purpose of obtaining more than 1:1 magnification?

[Edit: by "better" I mean greater magnification but without excessive vignetting, or insane exposure times, etc. etc.]

best regards,

Ted
    Last edited by xpatUSA; 10th March 2012 at 01:02 AM. Reason: getting old . . .

Real Name
    Richard

Re: Question about reversing lenses

I have tried this years ago with a 35mm film camera and remember that you can really get close. Using a lens reversed on the camera body and using a lens reversed in front of another lens were two ways to use reversed lenses.

Here are some links which might provide you the information you can use. Happy shooting.

http://www.digital-photography-schoo...ro-photography
    http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam.../Reversal.html
    http://www.dpchallenge.com/tutorial.php?TUTORIAL_ID=40
    http://stephenelliot.com/2007/05/15/...aphy-tutorial/

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Quote Originally Posted by xpatUSA View Post
    I sometime wish for more than 1:1 magnification for those detail shots of movement parts. I used to get by with the Nikon D50 and a micro-Nikkor 60mm but nowadays I'm using a Sigma SD9 which does have a lower sensor resolution - i.e. smaller sensor and bigger pixels than the D50. Anyhow, I read yesterday that a regular (not close-up) camera lens can, with suitable adapters, be attached backwards onto the front my Sigma 50mm macro lens.

It so happens that I have two lenses left over from the "good" old days (early 80's):

A Carl Zeiss 50mm f/1.8 Pancolar
    A PMC 28mm f/2.8 Super-Paragon

The question is: which one do we think is better for the purpose of obtaining more than 1:1 magnification?

[Edit: by "better" I mean greater magnification but without excessive vignetting, or insane exposure times, etc. etc.]

best regards,

Ted

It is in the maths of it.

By reverse mounting one lens onto another – the magnification is the ratio of the focal lengths.

If you reverse a 28mm lens on your 50mm lens, you would get about 2:1.

Two lenses of the same focal length would give 1:1.

So that takes into consideration the maths of two lenses “Normal” lenses - but your 50mm lens is macro lens, but I think you get into vignette area if you use that MACRO lens focused at macro distances – but I am not sure, because I have never done it.

I have only ever reversed one (wide) lens onto a (longer) lens – typically a 50mm reversed onto a 135mm lens, giving me a bit better than 2.5:1

I would suggest you use the 28mm lens, that is if it is too difficult or too expensive to make adapters for both.

WW

Real Name
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by William W View Post
    I would suggest you use the 28mm lens, that is if it is too difficult or too expensive to make adapters for both.
    WW
    Thanks Bill. I've found a source of adapter rings so I'll get one for the 28mm.

As to vignetting, that is of less concern for my watch-part shots which are taken for informative/illustrative purposes rather than as works of art so to speak.

Anyway, for a buck or two - it's worth a shot (groan).

best regards,

Ted