Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Critique please

Real Name
    Josh

Critique please

Critique please

So this image has been cropped. 50% maybe. I used a flash and got bright red eyes. Lightroom 3 has a red eye removal tool, so I used it and it looks bad to me. If I could have diffused the flash would that have lessened the red eye.

Critique please

This is another cropped photo. It looks ok to me but there is a branch or two in the foreground that have a purple tint that I don't like.

I just started shooting RAW and post processing is all new to me. I'm using a trail version of Lightroom 3, I'll probably buy Lightroom 4. Not sure about spending the money on Photoshop just now.

These images are linked for my CIC album. Hopefully the quality is good enough for you guys to let me know what you think.
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 9th March 2012 at 06:55 PM. Reason: converted second image url to img tags (so we can see it)

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Re: Critique please

Hi Josh. My feeling is that the overall image is dark and the owl blends in too much with the background. I'd try to lighten just the owl and brighten the catchlights in the eyes if you can. That should make the owl 'pop' a bit more and stand out against the dark background.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

I would agree with Frank.

Was it an in-built flash you were using or an on-board separate unit? Once you are more experienced in post-processing, I am sure you would be able to make better use of the red-eye tool.

I think you have done a very good job of throwing the background out of focus. And you have seized the opportunity of getting a really engaging moment, with the owl looking straight at you. Well done.

Real Name
    Andrew

It's always better to do the best you can in-camera. If you plan on doing a lot of birds here is something that genuinely works well.

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&...tXX2OA&cad=rja

Real Name
    Josh

Thanks for the comments. I was using a 430ex flash. With people I usually try to bounce my flash but in the woods I wasn't sure what to do so I pointed to right at the owl. I got about 60 pics some with some w/o the flash. It was dark enough that it was hard to hold the lens still and get a clear pic w/o the flash.

The pic looks much better in Lightroom, the owl stands out more and the whole pic is brighter. I'll look into making a higher quality version available. Processing and posting images is new to me.

Wouldn't the better beamer have created red eyes also?

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Thank you Josh.

Given that you say you are quite inexperienced with post processing, I assume you are also quite new to using flash. It is all about practice. Get to know your unit well and understand all that it can do.

The one resource I have found of great use is Syl Arena's 'Speedliter's Handbook'. It really does help you understand everything you will need to know.

I am very glad that you are posting. I hope you are finding it helpful.

Real Name
    Josh

Just signed up with upload.com. Hopefully this will work.

_MG_3206.dng - 15.4 MB

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Josh - I have downloaded your DNG as, indeed, everything looks a lot brighter. The use of the flash is very obvious.

I don't think you have any problems with what you are doing. You just need to be able to get more practice at using the post-processing software to get to know how to use it to best advantage.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

A quick edit in ACR / Photoshop ...

Critique please

Real Name
    JimC

Great PS Colin, think you hit the mark on Josh's shot. I like Josh are new to the digital world. So all the comments were helpful to me. Donald your suggestions for post shot processing and flash work hit home to me also. Josh keep up the good work. Look forward to seeing more of your stuff. JimC

Real Name
    james

Great shots Josh! The photoshop was too expensive for me. I got elements nine and it was about 80 bucks, It has a good raw editor and might be a good way to learn/improve post processing. Btw I love the Eagle and squirrel shot! keep posting I look forward to seeing more. Oh yea great job Colin!