Thread: Aircraft

Real Name
    James G Soto

Aircraft

Nikon D300 F/5.6, ISO 800 Exposure time 1/4000, Focal length 70 mm.
    Air craft on approach in San Diego California CA, Sorry no clouds to make them more interesting
    Please critique.
    Aircraft

Aircraft
    Last edited by Jerry Soto; 9th March 2012 at 03:54 AM.

Re: Aircraft

Everything is technically correct, but without any clouds in the background there isn't anything special about these planes. You'll need to do some creative post-processing to these pics.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by mrme View Post
    Everything is technically correct, but without any clouds in the background there isn't anything special about these planes.
    I'd agree with that point, though they are good crisp captures of the planes.

The one and only time I stayed in San Diego (was there for a wedding), it was fascinating to look out the window of the hotel room and watch planes coming in at eye level. As country boy it was amazing to see planes come in so close over the top of the city.

Real Name
    James G Soto

Thank you Donald.
    Last edited by Jerry Soto; 9th March 2012 at 08:53 AM.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Hi James, both aircraft pictures are very good technically but background clouds aside, both suffer from the same problem - the shooting angle. Most people that see airborne aircraft up close are looking up at the bottom of the aircraft on takeoff or landing.

As Donald points out, if you can get a vantage point the is level or better still, slightly higher than the subject, it would be far more interesting. Unfortunately, vantage points at that height are risky for the aircraft to fly close to and what few locations exist run the risk of having a poor background to deal with.

I have gotten some decent pictures from airport control towers but the best locations are the tops of hotels near the end of the runway. To see some examples of what others have been able to do with aircraft images, take a look at the following link:

http://www.airliners.net/search/phot...der=views+desc
    Last edited by FrankMi; 9th March 2012 at 02:31 PM.

Real Name
    Steve

It started to rain: so I used one I took earlier when arriving at the airport, a quick shot without any preparation, and joined it with a test photo to check exposure and composure while I waited for one to take off, which didn't happen.

You could easily do the same with yours

Aircraft

Real Name
    Philip

Everything is technically correct, but without any clouds in the background there isn't anything special about these planes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    I'd agree with that point, though they are good crisp captures of the planes.
    James,

These are very special because they are such good captures of the planes. Your own title is "Aircraft" - if you are not happy with them, then you might follow the advice above but, as images of aircraft in flight, your captures are superb. If they were mine, I would be proud of them as they are - adding anything would be an irrelevant distraction for me.

Philip

Real Name
    james

I agree with Philip. Those are too excellent shots on their own and do not need spectacular clouds to distract from them. But just maybe someone might wanna spice up a nice cloud shot by adding planes as nice as yours lol ! well done!

Real Name
    James G Soto

Everything is technically correct, but without any clouds in the background there isn't anything special about these planes. You'll need to do some creative post-processing to these pics.
    Thank you mrme for your advice

Real Name
    James G Soto

Quote Originally Posted by FrankMi View Post
    Hi James, both aircraft pictures are very good technically but background clouds aside, both suffer from the same problem - the shooting angle. Most people that see airborne aircraft up close are looking up at the bottom of the aircraft on takeoff or landing.

As Donald points out, if you can get a vantage point the is level or better still, slightly higher than the subject, it would be far more interesting. Unfortunately, vantage points at that height are risky for the aircraft to fly close to and what few locations exist run the risk of having a poor background to deal with.

I have gotten some decent pictures from airport control towers but the best locations are the tops of hotels near the end of the runway. To see some examples of what others have been able to do with aircraft images, take a look at the following link:

http://www.airliners.net/search/phot...der=views+desc
    Hi Frank good points and thank you, in my Aircraft collection I have about 1000 photos some with clouds other clouds and the moon at many different shot angles. In my under bell shot there is 170 Photos and my intention is tack sharpness of the aircraft, again thank you for the critique.

Real Name
    James G Soto

Quote Originally Posted by jamn4ex View Post
    I agree with Philip. Those are too excellent shots on their own and do not need spectacular clouds to distract from them. But just maybe someone might wanna spice up a nice cloud shot by adding planes as nice as yours lol ! well done!
    James I agree with you thank you for taking the time to look them and I appreciate your comments.
    Last edited by Jerry Soto; 10th March 2012 at 04:56 AM.

Real Name
    James G Soto

Quote Originally Posted by MrB View Post
    James,

These are very special because they are such good captures of the planes. Your own title is "Aircraft" - if you are not happy with them, then you might follow the advice above but, as images of aircraft in flight, your captures are superb. If they were mine, I would be proud of them as they are - adding anything would be an irrelevant distraction for me.

Philip
    Philip you understand my intentions on the composition that’s great, and it also is interesting to hear others opinions, it help to make me think how I am going to take that next shot.

Real Name
    James G Soto

Quote Originally Posted by arith View Post
    It started to rain: so I used one I took earlier when arriving at the airport, a quick shot without any preparation, and joined it with a test photo to check exposure and composure while I waited for one to take off, which didn't happen.

You could easily do the same with yours

Steve Thank you

Aircraft

Real Name
    Steve

It isn't a shade on yours James. Just an idea because if you stick two A size papers apart from A1 together, you get another A size.

Real Name
    James G Soto

Quote Originally Posted by FrankMi View Post
    [/url]
    This is one of the airplanes after some PP, please I need some opinions or critique

Aircraft

Maybe this is better?

Aircraft
    Last edited by Jerry Soto; 21st March 2012 at 04:17 AM.

Real Name
    JimC

James great job of PP. dose make them a little more interesting. But I can't help but think how special they would have been as Donald and Frank stated eye level or above. Keep up the great work. JimC