Thread: Creating vibrance in pictures?

Creating vibrance in pictures?

Hello there.
    I would like to get tips in creating vibrance in my pictures.
    I'm using nikon d60 with vr 18-55lens. and i'm still a newbie to photography.
    My pictures are always ''boring'' due to the colours it gives out to me.

Re: Creating vibrance in pictures?

are you after making the pics more vibrant in post processing or in camera?

In post processing then it's easily done as you can do this in a wide variety of editing applications (from gimp to photoshop), how depends on the software and if it's the whole image or just some subjects you want to make more colourful.

Making colours stand out direct out the camera with no pp depends on the camera and settings. For instance most have a "chrome" mode for making jpeg images more colourful but this wont have any effect on raw (except maybe a meta tag that the inhouse developer (and possibly 3rd party) will read to select default colour levels), but raw files can look washed out sometimes (for me at least) before they are processed, especially when using a lot of none inhouse software in particular. For me using none fuji software (my cam is fuji btw) I notice this a lot but the software is the same just I presume fuji stuff is set to increase vibrancy defaults based on my camera.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

There are many ways, and which is best depends on the subject matter.
    It also depends on what image editing software you are using, so we'll need to know that first, and have an example image.

Chances are you'll end up with a little of each of the methods in most pics (well I do).

EDIT Davey has a good point; we also need to know whether you're talking about RAW or jpg?

EDIT2 If you haven't already, please read the CiC tutorial on LOCAL CONTRAST ENHANCEMENT.
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 14th June 2009 at 05:27 PM. Reason: added LCE tutorial link

I was shooting in JPEG. But these days I'm shooting RAW as i getting the incorrect white balance. But both format doesnt have a good vibrance. I know that it can be achieved via editing softwares. I'm using LightRoom2! But its makes me guilty where i'm cheating when every i retouch my pictures. I would like to use my editing software little. maybe 80% workdone in camera, 20% editing?

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by nyiyaz View Post
    I would like to use my editing software little. maybe 80% workdone in camera, 20% editing?
    Just not possible with RAW I'm afraid (and I wouldn't recommend it with jpg either).
    There's no shame in post processing, how many of the "great" photographer's of the past's work do you see, likelihood being they will have printed, and in doing so, spent just as much time in the darkroom dodging and burning to get the results we all applaud.

If you have used LR2 for RAW import then you'll have used ACR, so I assume you'll have tried the "Vibrance" and "Clarity" adjustments on the Details tab?
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 15th June 2009 at 06:43 AM. Reason: Clarified ACR is part of RAW workflow in LR (thanx to 'Dog')

nyiyaz -

If you are using LR2 then ACR (Adobe Camera RAW) is already within your program (LR).

For a quick lesson, open LR and click on 'Develop.' At the top right of that module you will see a section called 'Presence.' There are three sliders, Clarity, Vibrance, and Saturation. If you are just looking for more color overall, drag the Saturation slider to the right. This is what most people, at first thought, are probably wanting - more color. Experiment with the Vibrance and Clarity sliders too. For my Camera and lens setup, I almost never add Saturation, even when shooting RAW, but I do tend to add some Clarity and Vibrance when needed. In some cases, I may even notch back on the Saturation just a bit. It depends on what you like, really, and your particular camera setup, etc.

If you go further down to the Develop page to another module called: 'HSL | Color | Greyscale,' you will see sliders that pertain to specific colors, and I encourage you to experiment with those sliders. You can, for example, just reduce the amount of green in an image if things look too green.

Remember, anything you do in LR is NON-DESTRUCTIVE. You can edit all day long and then simply press the Reset button and start over.

Dave is absolutely right on. For digital work, our darkroom is software.

I too try to get things as close to finished right out of the camera, this way I am making sure I am learning the art of photography properly. I then look to 'finish' my images with some tweaks in SW.

Hope this helps.

~ Dog

Thanks people. " Darkroom is Software"
    Alright shall experiment more in LR2!