Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Black and White Leaf

Real Name
    Louise

Black and White Leaf

This is a try at B&W. I do not have Nik Software. What do you think?
    [IMG]Black and White Leaf[/IMG]

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Black and White Leaf

Louise

As you can see, I have now moved your image into its own thread so that members can comment upon it if they wish.

NB - Louise had posted this into a thread in which the use of Nik Silver Efex Pro was being discussed in relation to another image posted.

Real Name
    Louise

I did it with Lightroom3. The understanding of the effect of color in a black and white rendition is a real brain twister for me.
    A recepy that includes a bit of magic, a dash of what your eye saw, a lot of the light of the moment, a generous portion of technology, and a bunch of creative imagination!

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by wlou View Post
    I did it with Lightroom3. The understanding of the effect of color in a black and white rendition is a real brain twister for me.
    A recepy that includes a bit of magic, a dash of what your eye saw, a lot of the light of the moment, a generous portion of technology, and a bunch of creative imagination!
    That summarises the situation very nicely!

The concept of 'seeing' in Black & White is one that a number of people who have written on the subject promote, or at least refer to. It is a notion that I find very helpful and in which I have tried to train myself. It is about looking at a scene and visualising what it will look like in Black & White. And that is, in large part, about 'seeing' what tones of grey the various colours will turn into once you convert the image. About seeing the light and shade, and the shapes and textures in the scene and knowing how these elements will impact on your monochrome image.

Michael Freeman, in 'The Complete Guide to Black & White Digital Photography' (2009), acknowledges that many good B & W images are only chosen to be B & W once they are reviewed after being shot. But he goes on to state, "... 'full' black & white photography means anticipating, selecting and composing monochrome right from the start. And the only way to do this is to train oneself to think and see in black and white. There are optical aids ... but these are really tricks to fool the eye .... . More effective long term is constant practice and experience in mentally filtering out colour information" (p140).
    Last edited by Donald; 9th March 2012 at 01:04 PM.