Real Name
    Sara

Retrography

I would like to know your opinion and critique
    Thank you so much

img_2671e.jpg

S.Z.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 8th March 2012 at 09:40 PM. Reason: add image inline

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: Retrography

Hi Sara,

Not sure what we're looking at here - my guess would be these things are in an junk/antique shop window?

The picture on the camera's belows won't do them any good and there seems to be plenty of cobwebs.

Your logo in lower left corner is the brightest thing here, so that distracts me.

Hope that helps, oh, and welcome to the CiC forums from ...

Real Name
    Richard

I'd love to have a camera like that with a DSLR mounted inside. I'd put it on an old wooden tripod and I could wear a straw hat and duster coat like Mathew Brady and they would probably allow me on the battlefield of a U.S. Civil War Reenactment. That would be loads of fun!

Real Name
    William

I think the lighting is on the weak side. Until I read the other comments about it being a camera bellows, I though I was looking at a safe or a filing cabinet drawer. I think the camera would make a great picture by itself.

Probably the most distracting element is the modern frame sitting on top of the bellows. Second would be the dust/cobwebs in the upper left.

Just remember not to take critiquing personally. I think this picture has promise. Not one I would get rid of, just one to retake.

Real Name
    JimC

Sara, for me B&W is very difficult. I think I have a sense of all things that you were seeing. However, all the extra stuff took away from what I thought was your idea. If you have a chance to play around with original or retake the shot. You might try different angles and different light. Keep up the good work. JimC

Real Name
    Sara

Ok Dave, I agree with u about the logo ... but u think the pic is not good at all ... i mean no good sides ... Thank u so much hope the next time will b better
    Last edited by Egyptian Face; 11th March 2012 at 07:03 AM.

Real Name
    Sara

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    I'd love to have a camera like that with a DSLR mounted inside. I'd put it on an old wooden tripod and I could wear a straw hat and duster coat like Mathew Brady and they would probably allow me on the battlefield of a U.S. Civil War Reenactment. That would be loads of fun!
    okay Richard ... i can send it to u via DHL with the hat and the coat OK ... I was waiting some critics

Real Name
    Sara

Quote Originally Posted by GreedyRogue View Post
    I think the lighting is on the weak side. Until I read the other comments about it being a camera bellows, I though I was looking at a safe or a filing cabinet drawer. I think the camera would make a great picture by itself.

Probably the most distracting element is the modern frame sitting on top of the bellows. Second would be the dust/cobwebs in the upper left.

Just remember not to take critiquing personally. I think this picture has promise. Not one I would get rid of, just one to retake.
    Well, GreedyRogue ... i think u r right ... it may be confusing ... the modern frame on the top >> it means that this old camera can take photos till nowdays and about the cobwebs >> refers to how much it is too old this was my point of view, but any way thank you so much for ur critiques as it is not personally ... i will do my best next time

Real Name
    Sara

Quote Originally Posted by Kaclarity View Post
    Sara, for me B&W is very difficult. I think I have a sense of all things that you were seeing. However, all the extra stuff took away from what I thought was your idea. If you have a chance to play around with original or retake the shot. You might try different angles and different light. Keep up the good work. JimC
    Okay JimC in real the b & W is difficult for me too but i have no option in this one to emphasize how much it is an old camera ... but i will do my best the next time ... thank u so much JimC

Real Name
    Andrew

I'm old enough to know exactly what it was when I looked at it. Inclusion of the example photos above it may have helped with the composition but maybe not. Shooting what appears to be through the glass of a store window reduces the clarity of the shot. A polarizer may have helped eliminate that reflection. Nice subject though.

Real Name
    Sara

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew1 View Post
    I'm old enough to know exactly what it was when I looked at it. Inclusion of the example photos above it may have helped with the composition but maybe not. Shooting what appears to be through the glass of a store window reduces the clarity of the shot. A polarizer may have helped eliminate that reflection. Nice subject though.
    Well, thank u so much Andrew it is not through glass window (vitrin) ... it is just some effect i added to the photo to appear more old btw, if u r old enough to know this so u lived in the most beautiful and peaceful time