Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: The Tree

Real Name
    Bobo

The Tree

Seems like everyone is doing tress so had to snap a few of this one which I stumbled upon.

We were in a hurry to leave so did not have time to go around for different angles etc. Will return before the winter is out to get it again.

Suggestions on how to go about it are appreciated. Everyone knows I suck at landscapes!

The Tree

The Tree
    Last edited by Bobobird; 8th March 2012 at 03:06 AM.

Real Name
    Kathy

Re: The Tree

Love the first photo, the colors are so vibrant up against the snow I wish I had your suckiness

Kathy

Real Name
    Peter

Hi Bobo,

The first does nothing for me as the subject is just in the frame and the scene is messy. I had to look hard to see what the centre of interest was.

I can see what took your interest with #2 but again the surrounding area is very messy and so close to the subject of interest you will not blur it, as you will not get a shallow DOF.

I suggest getting up close and personal, front on to the root system, wide aperture, longest lense you have and just shoot the patterns of the root structure itself - fill the frame with them.

Real Name
    Bobo

Thanks Steve - exactly the kind of hand-holding that I need. Just cannot seem to "see" a landscape. LOL

A friend just pointed out that that is not a tree but the root wad of one that has been blown over. The trunk can be seen in the 2nd pic just behind the "tree".

Looks like an interesting exercise in closeup and texture capturing if I do get there before it becomes machete only country.

Real Name
    Sara

Good work ... i like the second one more ... the colors, the composition and the mood are great

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Ryan View Post
    I suggest getting up close and personal, front on to the root system, wide aperture, longest lense you have and just shoot the patterns of the root structure itself - fill the frame with them.
    I would agree with all that Peter has written. I think you've got an interesting subject there, but it needs to be isolated from its surroundings.

Peter - Good to see you posting. I missed your February posts and was wondering (as I re-read your 'interview' a couple of days ago) how you are.
    Last edited by Donald; 8th March 2012 at 12:05 PM.

Real Name
    Bobo

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    .. but it needs to be isolated from its surroundings.
    That will require going in with a machete OR burning the place down.

Only time is now while winter is still around. At least the colours are nice against the white ice/snow. Come summer this place will turn into a mosquito infested jungle.

I hope to go up again next week weather permitting. Lets see what more time there with no distractions will bring up.