Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: landlocked

Real Name
    Paul

landlocked

i found these boats near a farm that i was working.and found it odd that these 2 old boats sit in a field.in the middle nowhere miles from the nearest river.pity i never had the time to investigate different compositions.hopefully i'll be going back :-)
    c & c welcome

landlocked

landlocked

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: landlocked

Paul - In terms of composition, I'd put #1 well ahead of the race compared to #2. It (#2) is a fine study of a boat, but, for me, it is not an image with enough interest to keep me looking at it.

#1 is different. The trees and the sky and are super. But I feel the boats disappear a bit too much into their surroundings instead of standing out and grabbing our attention. Don't know what the colours are on the boats, but you could introduce filter effects (depending of the PP software you're using) to shift the tones so that the superstructures really come away from the background. Or you could apply dodging techniques to the boats to lighten them up a bit. In other words, there are a number of options available to make the boats 'pop' a bit more, which I feel is what is needed.

Of course, you are under no obligation to agree with any of these ideas. But I hope they provide some food for thought.

Real Name
    Paul

thanks for the feed back.i'll be doing some work on these tomorrow in colour i think

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

Whatever you do; keep the sky and trees as is in #1. I really think it is a great component to the image

Real Name
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by tbob View Post
    Whatever you do; keep the sky and trees as is in #1. I really think it is a great component to the image
    yeah sky really made it for me.

Real Name
    Louise

Hello Donald, I learn a lot from your site and I will like to thank you for this. Of course it is possible because of the great participation of all the pics presented also on your site, thanks guys!

On these pics from Paul (thanks Paul) I understand your suggestion for dodging the boat, not sure about the filter effects? Are we talking color filters?

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by wlou View Post
    I understand your suggestion for dodging the boat, not sure about the filter effects? Are we talking color filters?
    Yes. This is the same principle as the colour filters used on a lens in the days of B & W film photography - Red, Yellow, Green, Blue, etc. Each of these has an effect on the colours that make up the grey tones in a B & W picture.

Many post-processing packages now incorporate these filter effects. So, for example, in Silver Efex Pro 2 I can apply various colour filter effects to an image and I can vary the strength of each of these.

Real Name
    Louise

Bravo for the technology. Would programs like Lightroom have it?

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by wlou View Post
    This is a try at B&W. I do not have Nik Software. What do you think?
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Louise - What we would normally do with a new image that is not related to the original in the thread, is start a new image and ask for comment and criticism. So, I have moved your post into a new thread that I have named 'Black & White Leaf'. This will allow others to comment and not interfere with the discussion on Paul's image.

I do not know whether Lightroom incorporates filter effects. I suspect that it does, but hopefully someone who uses Lightroom will see this post and provide the answer.

Real Name
    Louise

Thank you, am sure with practice I will get the hang of it.

The wooden boat looks like an interesting design. By the way it is blocked up it appears as though someone is intending to do a restoration.