Thread: Elements 7 Doesn't recognise RAW files from Canon 550D

Elements 7 Doesn't recognise RAW files from Canon 550D

I've just changed from a 500D to 550D. With the 500D Elements 7 handled the RAW files with no problem.

E7 does not recognise RAW files from my 550D.

I've downloaded and run the latest RAW CODEC ( crc_1_7_0_56_7L ) from the Canon site but it has not made any difference.

No problem with DPP though but I prefer to use E7 as part of my long used work flow.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Real Name
    Graham Heron

Re: Elements 7 Doesn't recognise RAW files from Canon 550D

I recently changed to the Sony A77, similar to yourself, I then found that PSE 7 didn't support, nor was there any update. They have abandoned and forsaken us.
    I had to buy PSE10 (no upgrade from 7) to get the ACR to recongnise. Ah well, it was time anyway.

Will be getting LR4 upgrade as well this week (can upgrade from versions 1, 2 and 3).

The cost of getting a new camera doesn't stop once you walk out of the shop does it!
    Graham

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

I would assume that PSE7 would support DNG format files - so personally I'd just try Adobe's free DNG converter.

Many thanks Graham and Colin.

I've decided to opt for a later version of Elements. As you mention Graham and from things I've now read it appears that E7 too far out of date for going forward. It's served me well over the last couple of years. It does everything I need for my Stock Photography images. I could go down the converter route but I have a work flow that suits me. Also I understand the the noise options are improved in versions after E7 - not sure if this is correct though.

Regards
    John

Real Name
    Graham Heron

Anybody know what are the drawbacks to DNG, if any?
    Is there information in the proprietary RAW files that it doesn't access or use?
    I'm thinking even stuff like embedded GPS info. Some RAW files are 14 bit, others are 12 bit, does that make a difference?
    Thanks in advance,
    Graham

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamH View Post
    Anybody know what are the drawbacks to DNG, if any?
    Is there information in the proprietary RAW files that it doesn't access or use?
    I'm thinking even stuff like embedded GPS info. Some RAW files are 14 bit, others are 12 bit, does that make a difference?
    Thanks in advance,
    Graham
    Hi Graham,

The only downside I've found is if you want to open the file using a program that doesn't take DNG as an input file, like DxO.

ALL proprietary information is retained, but encrypted "secret sauce" info won't be used, but then again, it wouldn't be used anyway as that's a limitation of the program using it, not the format it's in.

Basically, DNG is still a RAW format - it's just one with a standardised structure - unlike proprietary formats.

I use them exclusively - and delete the original *.CR2s after conversion.