Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Capturing shaped light for C&C

Capturing shaped light for C&C

I started carrying the P&S to work last week. Two days ago I saw this cool light pattern coming in from the windows on the left; and a secondary light from the door casting the light in the foreground. Here are two edits that I did for light:

Any insight on how to improve would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Ryo

Real Name
    2 penny for the guess..

Re: Capturing shaped light for C&C

Hi Ryo,

Like the "piano" , but, as all the pianos, I'm expecting to see blacks and whites. As personal feeling, the second light/reflexion on the floor is a bit distracting for me, I can't link it to the "piano". Maybe a more aggresive editing, with more blacks?
    Also, a square crop from top right, yes,you are going to loose the first smallest line from left, and at the bottom somewhere near lower point of the harsh light on the floor, to form a V shape , and to turn me back to my piano

Thanks for posting,
    Leo

Real Name
    Mark

Hi Ryo,

Well spotted!

For me the colour image provides more information and separates the different shadows: interesting in themselves. The wires and poles in the image are a distraction though. Some hard editing in photoshop to isolate just the shadow pattern would really lift the picture for me.

Good shot.

Real Name
    Steve

I like the B+W most. Very good photo.

Thanks for the comments and input. Here is a sample of what caught my eye, and where I was starting from:

@ Leo and Mark, I did take it a bit further originally but it looked to much like a designer logo piece to me so I left in some of the details, here is about as extreme as I went on the editing:

thanks
    Ryo
    Last edited by Ryogenetic; 9th March 2012 at 01:22 AM.

Real Name
    Jon

Ryo, I really like the first B&W best. Nice capture.

I find the secondary light to be very intriguing! It totally looks 3D the way it angles. I like the top and bottom B&W images the best. The only thing I would want to try would be to rotate the shot a little bit to straighten up those pipes or canisters (or whatever they are). Seeing a pic of the actual scene, I think it's awesome that you saw the potential in it!