Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Gable and Moon

Real Name
    Pat

Gable and Moon

Hi Folks,
    I have started to do some night photos of which I have no experience and shot this one last night,all critique and comments will be more than welcome.Best Wishes,
    Pat,

Gable and Moon

Real Name
    Jim

Re: Gable and Moon

Hi Pat,

It will help if you post your camera settings,shutter speed,ISO and f/stop.I'm not getting any EXIF data for your image.

Real Name
    Pat

Hi Jim,
    The settings were f/11,122sec,and ISO 100,
    Pat,

Real Name
    Jim

I have done some limited night photography so I'm sure there will be others to give you better information.
    To keep the stars as pinpoints you need to up your shutter speed.122 seconds is too long.At that length of time you are seeing the earth's rotation coming into play.
    Open up the lens to 5.6 or wider,set ISO to at least 400 and take a 30s shot.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

I assumed that was the moon we were seeing (well the clue is in the title), but on a 122s exposure it would have travelled a long way. I'm confused. Is it a blend?

Or, alternatively, shoot it with no moon but a clear sky and really go for the star trails shot. Go for the really long exposure to get the start trails stretching right across the sky.
    Last edited by Donald; 6th March 2012 at 07:25 PM.

Real Name
    Mavourneen

Quote Originally Posted by Jim B. View Post
    I have done some limited night photography so I'm sure there will be others to give you better information.
    To keep the stars as pinpoints you need to up your shutter speed.122 seconds is too long.At that length of time you are seeing the earth's rotation coming into play.
    Open up the lens to 5.6 or wider,set ISO to at least 400 and take a 30s shot.
    Yep, what he said. Make sure the lens is open at it's widest Fstop. ISO 200-400 and between 10-30 seconds. And shooting at the moon makes it brighter..you want to avoid that.

20 minutes would suffice to get some star trails or you could take 100-200 shots at 30 seconds each and stack them to get star trails...

Real Name
    Pat

Hi Folks,
    Thank you for your feedback.I used an f stop of 11 to get the star affect on the moon,it is one shot no blending.On reflection the brightness of the moon doesn't work.Here is a shot taken a few minutes before,straight out of camera no pp,
    35sec f/2.8 ISO 100, Pat,

Gable and Moon

Real Name
    Terry

Hi Pat!

I like the first one, but I'm seeing some serious artifacting around the moon. Almost looks pixelated on my monitor. Concentric squares.

Of course, it could be my screen, but the second one is not showing that.

I would be tempted to yutz around with an artificial burst effect in post in the second shot if you would like the moon to burst. Which was what I liked about it originally.