Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Oops

Oops

Yes, it says oops.

http://www.slashgear.com/nikon-d800-...tage-03216686/

Not much else to say except "what were they thinking".

Glenn

Real Name
    Alex

Re: Oops

If you do not want to click on a link:

The Nikon D800 has an incredible 36.3-megapixel CMOS sensor and full HD video recording capabilities. In the video, seen below, there are time lapse videos, fast-moving sports action, and other impressive visual demos. Apparently, Nikon pilfered some of this content from a video production company without its consent. Maybe it didn’t expect the company to notice.

Oh but it did. TSO Photography posted on its Facebook page, “A bit surprised to see Nikon using some of my video clips in the world launch of the Nikon D800 camera … without contacting me. Especially since Canon is one of my sponsors, and I use a 5DII.” So not only did Nikon use footage that wasn’t even from one of its own cameras, it also potentially violated copyright laws. That’s not exactly the way you want to launch a new product.

Oops indeed. I think Nikon may have to make up a story about how they outsourced the promo to another company and they did not know where footage was sourced from or something similar. This is a stupid mistake. But it should not overshadow the release of an amazing new camera.
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 4th March 2012 at 06:30 PM. Reason: enclosed quoted text

Real Name
    Pierre

It never fails to amaze me! The lack of work/effort some people are willing to put into what they are doing to provide a final product.

I think they should take the D800 off the market to satisfy the video production company.

Oops indeed - lol

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by PBelarge View Post
    I think they should take the D800 off the market to satisfy the video production company.
    Nah - just shove a Canon badge on it - should be easy enough to market it as a new entry-level model (despite the relatively low specs!).

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Nah - just shove a Canon badge on it - should be easy enough to market it as a new entry-level model (despite the relatively low specs!).

Real Name
    Ronny Geenen

Big companies are the same as politicians. There is a reason why they do these things and after the act they come up with all kind of lies.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronny View Post
    Big companies are the same as politicians. There is a reason why they do these things and after the act they come up with all kind of lies.
    Yes, in most cases it is stupidity.
    In all likelihood they developed the advertising materials using dummy data. During the process they got so used to the video they forgot that is was dummy data and failed to record proper stuff.

Real Name
    Dan

they did not notice the loss of all those extra pixels. There is a second story there....
    Last edited by DanK; 6th March 2012 at 01:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DanK View Post
    they did not notice the loss of all those extra pixels. There is a second story there....
    Well seen, and I think there was such a furor over the affair, that everybody missed the implications until your comment.

So (tongue in cheek) who is going to need all those 36 million pixels anyway? It would seem that Nikon doesn't.

So, I won't be needing to upgrade to the 5DIII from my current 5DII.

Glenn

Real Name
    Graham Heron

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn NK View Post
    Well seen, and I think there was such a furor over the affair, that everybody missed the implications until your comment.
    Glenn
    OR we all realised the implications so nobody thought it needed pointing out.
    Always another position.

It obviously goes to show that there is no significantly discernible difference between many cameras nowadays for most normal functions.
    Graham

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamH View Post
    It obviously goes to show that there is no significantly discernible difference between many cameras nowadays for most normal functions.
    Graham
    Precisely.