Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Feedback Please

Firefighter

I'm really pleased with this shot and the subject loves it, but I would appreciate any feedback so as to improve any future shots.

jusff.jpg

Thanks,
    Karen
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 4th March 2012 at 12:13 AM.

Real Name
    Terry

Re: Firefighter

Hi Karen!

Hope everything is going okay down GA Way! Hear you got some of the violent weather we got a couple of days ago.

My stepson is a Fireman. God bless those that waltz into a burning building to save lives and property.

I can sure see why you and your subject are happy with the shot you have produced. I like it in mono and I think its happening.

I don’t critique well so “grain of sand” this.

Without getting into huge specifics on the B&W conversion, would you consider bringing your vignette in a bit closer to your subject and making it a more gradual falloff? Maybe burn your vignette in gradually by hand (on a separate layer)? So to make a bit less abrupt transition from your subject to the edges, and especially the corners of your photograph. Easy to do with B&W. And maybe in the process draw the eye more toward your subject and a little less of the white around him.

Without seeing the original, he is looking at something. If the crop included this something would that make it better compositionally? Or maybe crop in such that the piece of the arm as you have it now is cropped out? Maybe bring your crop in tighter on the head and shoulders, leaving just enough space on the camera left, as you have already done, and then leave it up to us to wonder why he is looking down or just simply a “looking down” portrait.

No wonder I don’t critique well! The more I look at this the more excited I get about this shot!

It’s a good shot Karen and your POV is for it is great.

Nicely Done.

Hi Terry.

All's well here, though we did have some nasty weather. Hope all's well your way. Thank you for your concern and feedback.

This is my nephew...he's only 19 years old and he loves being a firefighter.

I appreciate the suggestions and will give them a try. He was putting his gloves on, so I think I'll go with a tighter crop, as I don't feel seeing his hands would add anything to the shot. He didn't know I was going to take this shot, which I like. I tend to prefer more candid shots to posed shots.

Again, thanks for the feedback and encouragement.

Karen
    Last edited by Karen L; 4th March 2012 at 02:49 AM.

Real Name
    Mal

Hi Karen,

It's a nice, candid pose you've managed to capture here. Your nephew's jacket contrasts well against the light background so as a B&W it works. I agree with Terry's comments about the vignetting and your nephew's arms being in a place of limbo - it's probably better if we can either see them doing something or have the shot so it just appears that he's looking down.

In terms of future portraits, for me the eyes of a person are really what draws someone into a portrait. In this shot his eyes are just hidden under the brim of his helmet which is a real shame because I can imagine an intense look of concentration being there. His face is also hidden a bit by the collar of the jacket - I think ideally you'd want to try and get more of his face in the photo as well.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Mal