Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Intentional Flare - Thoughts?

Intentional Flare - Thoughts?

[IMG]Intentional Flare - Thoughts?[/IMG]

Took this a few weeks ago, was rather pleased, not a whole lot of processing, what are you thoughts that might have taken this image to the next level?

Real Name
    Marty Johnston

Re: Intentional Flare - Thoughts?

Hi Warren,
    How about a nice crispy stark mono?

Last edited by Marty; 2nd March 2012 at 03:44 PM.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Warren View Post
    Took this a few weeks ago, was rather pleased,
    And so you should be, I think.

My only suggestion for you to consider would be the flare spot of the sun itself. It is blindingly bright and drags your eyes to it no matter how much you try to avoid it.

My solution to that (although others will maybe have better ideas) is to set a a soft brush for cloning at 5% opacity. And then very gently work from around the edge of the pure white pulling into the surrounding colour until the harshness of the pure white is taken down a bit. What you end up with is something like ......... (which you may or may not like)

(Click on one of them and then use the left/right arrows in the lightbox window to toggle between the two. EDIT - Marty's B & W suggestion is in between them.)

Real Name
    Philip

Warren,

The flare is not a problem for me - I like the effect and I prefer the colour version. What unsettles my view is that the clouds around the sun and above the horizon appear to indicate that the image is tilted slightly clockwise. That might be deliberate but, if the rotation is there for artistic effect, it doesn't work for me.

Philip

Quote Originally Posted by MrB View Post
    Warren,

What unsettles my view is that the clouds around the sun and above the horizon appear to indicate that the image is tilted slightly clockwise.

Philip
    Nope, I guess its my photographic eye is not as keen. It was not deliberate, but most likely from the fact that I was low to the ground and focusing too much attention on weed and sun placement. Now that you mention that, it is annoying me as well. Thanks for the input.

Oh I do like it in black and white as well. Very nice. Thanks.

The intensity did bother me. Although as photo editing is concerned, and photography in general, my knowledge could fit inside a thimble. I am learning each and everyday, and it is sites like this that provide me the inspiration to maybe someday call myself a photographer, instead of snapshooter. I did like the toning done, so thanks for your thoughts.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Warren View Post
    Although as photo editing is concerned, and photography in general, my knowledge could fit inside a thimble.
    That's fine. Just over three years ago I never knew there was such a thing as a RAW file and I didn't know there was such as thing as post-processing. I just thought you pointed a camera at something and got a picture.

And the lovely thing about CiC is that you're allowed to admit to that level of ignorance and know that people are not going to have a go at you. Instead, people are going to offer to help you learn.