Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Feedback Please

Real Name
    JimC

Feedback Please

New for me Alpha 55V. Picture f7.1 70mm, ISO 100, 1/116 any sugestions improvement Tech or tips Thanks JimC
    Feedback Please

Real Name
    Mavourneen

re: Feedback Please

Well, what is it that you're wanting to do with the image? I mean...before you took it what was it that drew you into it? There's a lot of contrast due to the harsh lighting...

Real Name
    Paul

I agree, it would help to know what you like and what you were hoping to convey to the viewer. The harsh lighting on the trees has given you a difficult exposure and blown them some. If the intrest was the trees and the light I would have tried to exposed for them and let the background go dark. Although you would have had a lot of blocked out black area.
    Last edited by jeeperman; 2nd March 2012 at 07:51 AM.

Real Name
    JimC

That's a good question Paul and Mav. Have always loved the lines and texture of nature. I was taken by the formation of these trees and the colors of the woods and foliage . But I think I failed in communating that. The light seemed to wash it all away.

Real Name
    Philip

JimC, the lighting has not been kind to this scene. However, if you still like the photo, you might try practising and experimenting on it with the various adjustments in your post-processing software. Even the small Jpeg file from the screen here can be altered to "reveal" a bit more of the line and texture, e.g. -

Feedback Please

OK, so the image becomes noisier and at 100% view some parts can look false, but you might produce a picture that, when viewed at normal size and distance, you prefer to the original. Always keep the original file and play around with a copy. If you have a Raw file of the shot, you should be able to recover more of the image.

Philip

Real Name
    Paul

Good tips from Philip there. This is the main reason so many here shoot RAW. It will give you a little leeway in your PP. As for capture, this can be a difficult type of subject to takle, some things to look for or be concious of......background, if it is busy and distracting you can try to use your DOF to blur it out some. This will help seperate your subject from the background. Also befor you click the shutter, police the borders and make sure there is nothing sneaking in at the edges {fence in bottom corner} Keep at it....this type of shot while difficult can be quite striking. The last little tip....the lighting...try to shoot early or late in the day as the light is coming from lower in the sky and is not so harsh and has a nice warmth to it. Just before or after sunrise and sunset being the best light. Light overcast days can work to a point as well as the light is naturally diffused. Still early and late being best but ....
    I am sure there is more that I have not added but someone will pick up my slack I am sure. Hope this is helpful.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: Feedback Please

Hi Jim,

Good replies above from all, too which I'll add;

If the subject is the tree trunks and their texture, you might want to consider cropping off (or cloning out) the fence in the lower right corner.

Cheers,

Real Name
    JimC

Thank you all for the valuable feedback. Paul today I just shot RAW some big differances . Dave your feedback as a Moderator was very welcome. I have seen your feedback in many threads. It makes this Nobbbb!!!! feel important. : )))))
    Once again thank you all again. Stay Focused !!!!! JimC

Real Name
    Paul

Absolutely! Now you are in control.