Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Moon and Shed Photo - Needs something

Moon and Shed Photo - Needs something

I'm not sure if this needs a crop or something. I really liked to pictures I had taken the night before but I didn't have a tripod and they had halos. This one has to do. I will have to wait for several years (maybe) until the moon gets in this position again.Moon and Shed Photo - Needs something

Re: Needs something

And when you have waited eons for the moon to be in the correct position again; it will be raining. Something to do with Murphy's Law!

Just by holding a couple of pieces of paper against the screen, I would say that you could try a substantial crop here. Just leave the roof apex showing and crop the sides to suit. Obviously don't alter your original image.

ps. I have had something similar going on for the past 15 years. Twice a year the sun sets exactly on top of the spire of a neighbouring village church, when viewed from my house. Once, when I only had a cheap basic camera, a bit red ball of the sun was exactly right. And I have been trying to repeat the shot ever since.

What about this?

It didn't put in the picture.

Re: Moon and Shed Photo - Needs something

I think you should put a horse in it
    Last edited by Colin Southern; 12th June 2009 at 04:56 AM.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by kookeer View Post
    What about this?
    The URL is pointing to a TIFF file - your better to save it as a JPEG.

Thank you Colin, I'll be more careful. See if this is better.

I prefer this crop over the original. I wonder if maybe a little more depth of field would have helped, but it's probably too late for that, right?

Joe

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Joe,

Yes I think so

Kookeer,

I note from EXIF it was 8 seconds at f3.5 and ISO100.
    That's probably wide open unless you were using a prime lens, and f3.5 explains the lack of DoF.

However, to be able to use that ISO to keep noise down and not elongate the moon by using too long an exposure, that's probably not a bad choice.

You could always try separating the shed to a new layer and applying a bit of focus magic to it. Probably need to select an area a few pixels larger than the shed alone or the edges will still be blurred. Just an idea, I'm not that experienced with FM or layers, but I'm sure it's possible.

I also prefer this crop btw.
    My only other comment is I think I find the shadow of the wire disturbing/distracting, but it might look worse (i.e. unnatural) if the shadow were cloned out without also losing the cable itself (on left of shot).

Cheers,
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 13th June 2009 at 01:04 AM. Reason: cable note added