Thread: Can the mundane be interesting? Ahh... therein lies the rub

Real Name
    Ken Outch

Can the mundane be interesting? Ahh... therein lies the rub

Okay, for those still with me. We all hanker after the fabulous shot of a life time. One which is so awe inspiring that those who see it are so gob smacked by the content that they just don't register the shot's technical short comings, such as Parko's hand tremour, that we used the rule of 5 and 7/8ths, ITC ( inadvertent truncate cropping) and that the main subject had a tree 'sprouting' from its head. So, rather than chasing my tail, seeking out the holy grail, I thought how about I take something totally mundane and everyday and see if I could add some interest? And all do-able from the comfort and safety of one's home.

Alright, so I am pretending this is some fantastically intellectual exercise on my part, rather than me being just too indolent to get out there to hunt for the extraordinary phenomenon to shoot.

Here is my first, and no doubt from the deluge of indifference it will generate, my last attempts at this. So what do you think? Have I come within a bull's roar of adding a bit of interest to an everyday object?

Be interested in any feed back comments on this peculiar approach. Is it worth pursuing as a means to help develop one's 'eye' for composition and framing? Or should I just go back to taking the medication?

Thanks for viewing. Hopefully my 'silliness' may cause some to stop and ponder.

A very old ucci ( It's okay; just the way I feel today. Sadly, I don't have enough hair remaining to claim the indulgence of 'having a bad hair day! " So I will just whine instead. Speaking of wine......)

Real Name
    Bobo

Re: Can the mundane be interesting? Ahh... therein lies the rub

What would you like me to say when your byline says it all.

Seriously though - I once did a series of "things we do not see". It was a fascinating exercise in observation but nothing much in terms of composition or content. Just that "things we do no see" which you want people to see but end up not seeing anyway (if you catch the drift).

Ken, I am a huge fan of the mundane and make it interesting. But I think that you have to keep in mind that there are rules (not steadfast) that apply to each photo. In the first I would ask what is the subject? Is it the knob to turn on the water? What is unique about it? I like the blue with the silver bolt in the middle. Could you photograph it from another perspective? One that people have not seen often? I think that the first picture would be great shot from the ground looking up, along the pipe. For the second it touchs into color and shapes, but for me I want to see more of the Stick stand you chose to hang the hats on. That is because it is something I have not seen before.

IMHO
    Ryo

Real Name
    Ken Outch

Quote Originally Posted by Ryogenetic View Post
    Ken, I am a huge fan of the mundane and make it interesting. But I think that you have to keep in mind that there are rules (not steadfast) that apply to each photo. In the first I would ask what is the subject? Is it the knob to turn on the water? What is unique about it? I like the blue with the silver bolt in the middle. Could you photograph it from another perspective? One that people have not seen often? I think that the first picture would be great shot from the ground looking up, along the pipe. For the second it touchs into color and shapes, but for me I want to see more of the Stick stand you chose to hang the hats on. That is because it is something I have not seen before.

IMHO
    Ryo
    Ryo
    I sought the honest opinion of others on this. You make excellent points which are most helpful to me. And as I said, this was my first attempt into an unknown area and I am starting from scratch to learn.
    Ken

Real Name
    Ken Outch

[QUOTE=Bobobird;190535]

Seriously, nothing much in terms of composition or content.

Okay, fair critique. But I guess I did ask for an honest opinion and did invite you to be forthright! LOL
    And I do get your drift. It is interesting to try and bring to prominence that which to most has been relegated to the sub-conscious.

In having a go at this it seems from the comments so far received, from the experience of others, I am well on the way to re-inventing the wheel.
    Cheers
    Ken

Real Name
    Gary

Hello Ken,

I would say that undoubtedly the mundane can be interesting! But, I would also say that there still has to be some connection with the subject and how you feel about it. I cannot see much going on in the 1st picture but in the second there are possibilities. As there seems to be something more personal about the caps.

Cheers for now

Gary

Real Name
    Pierre

Ken
    First I want to say I am so with your concept/idea. I have been working on a local project with the same concept. It takes a lot of work and thinking out of the box. It really is "putting ideas together".

The other comment I want to throw out here is; People today are bombarded on an hourly basis with "big ideas, sounds, images, video, etc...". The competition for a person's attention is extraordinary. So, taking the mundane and creating an image to capture the mind will take "extraordinary" capibilities such as - thought, perception, technical skills, knowledge of the subject, and who is the audience.

One last thought is, there are going to be many ideas/images that are not going to work, and the audience is going to be smaller than the audience that will see a "big photograph".

Keep at it, I am very interested to see how you move ahead.

Real Name
    Andrew

http://www.guardian.co.uk/artanddesi...-ii-photograph

The rest of his stuff is equally as bad. (but only in my opinion) Some "artists" survive more by their marketing agent than talent.

In the words of David Hannum,,There's a sucker born every minute.

Real Name
    Carolyn

What is mundane to someone somewhere at any moment in time may be interesting and informative to someone else in a different place and time. For instance, A village pump was once as mundane as your boiler inlet and switch, but in 100 years time, people may find it fascinating and picturesque (not to mention quaint). Or not. But I see photos on this site that I think I could never compete with subject wise because to me they are so exotic, yet in Australia or wherever they are common place. Urban street scenes, wild and bleak coastscapes- to each the familiarity may breed the contempt, but to each other have the interest of the unexplored.

I suppose there is mundane and mundane though. The mundane from unusual angles may have some artistic merit if it has a point.

Real Name
    Mal

Thought I'd add my two cents worth in For me, with photography what transforms the mundane into something truly extraordinary is the light that something is taken in and how that light is applied to the mundane subject in mind. Even a portrait of a beautiful person will appear mundane if the wrong angles and lighting is used. I personally prefer to look for interesting light rather than interesting subjects to take photos of. Case in point, my last Project 52 photo were of some dying orchids which looked pretty mundane until the setting sun hit them with some really nice, warm light.

Real Name
    Ken Outch

I fully agree with Andrew that there is much expensive marketing crap flogged by con artists which is scooped up by the gullible. But this should not negate the fine work presented by others.
    Interesting to read many of the comments made re light, shape and form composition vs actual subject. Some may find it interesting to have a quick dekko at
    http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/basics.htm
    Okay he can be controversial and not always to be agreed with. But he does make some interesting points at times.
    Thanks to all who took the time to post interesting and thought provoking points of view.
    Ken