Thread: "Stirring the Post"

Real Name
    Pierre

"Stirring the Post"

I am fairly new here and have recently started posting more often. I would like to clarify my posting style so as to avoid some getting upset/mad at the way I post.

I am by no means as experienced as others here, so I post not to show how much I know/understand. What I am trying to accomplish is rebuttal to my comments. I will post what I believe to be factual or what I understand with the hope that another more experienced will post a reply helping me (and maybe others) with information that is more exacting than my post presented. It is sort of like asking questions, only I do hope that at times my post is mostly correct and the more experienced here will verify it. Over the years, I have learned a tremendous amount by doing this, sometimes at the expense of really pissing people off, that is not my intent.

There are times where I will express opinions as others do, where facts and technology do not really matter. Please do not take offense, they are only my opinions and of course others do have their own, which I do have the utmost respect for.
    Thanks

Real Name
    Bill S

Re: "Stirring the Post"

Pierre,

I think you'll find the community here very accommodating at large. I've not really seen much of people getting "pissed off" or people's intentions being taken the wrong way. The best approach is to (1) make sure you clearly state what you have to say, (2) make your questions distinct (that is the one area where I think people get confused by a post - when the question being asked is not necessarily obvious), (my personal approach/suggestion here) (3) don't insight or fuel any kind of flame wars as we all know they are easy to start, and (again, my personal approach/suggestion here) (4) don't pass things off as 100% factual if you are not certain of it - phrases like "in my experience" or "as I understand it" go a long way to avoiding arguments on forums. So far, I haven't noticed any of these being a problem in any of your posts, so I'd say just keep on keeping on...

The only point I can make here is you description of how you post might make the second item I listed above a potential issue. As I said, I haven't noticed it in any of your posts thus far, but based on how you describe your posting style, I'd just say to keep that one in mind. Even if your question ends up being, "Can anyone confirm or refute this?"

Again though, as I said, I don't see any of your posts being a problem, so welcome and keep the posts coming.

- Bill

Real Name
    Graham Heron

One of the things I like most about this site is that it is relatively mellow comapred to some other forums I have been on. Some people deliberately bait others just for fun. Strange sense of fun in my mind. I don't visit those forums anymore.
    I find people here genuinely helpful but if they disagree, then they are prepared to say so, often with reasons, not just a blanket statement.
    On the occassion when someone has made a comment that could have been interpreted as being aggressive, I've usually received a PM to explain their position or to reassure that nothing bad was intended. A good way to go.
    Graham

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Quote Originally Posted by PBelarge View Post
    What I am trying to accomplish is rebuttal to my comments. I will post what I believe to be factual or what I understand with the hope that another more experienced will post a reply helping me (and maybe others) with information that is more exacting than my post presented.
    It occurs to me that the content of Post #1, being posted here at CiC, whilst very nice to read: was un-necessary.

WW

Real Name
    Marty Johnston

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamH View Post
    One of the things I like most about this site is that it is relatively mellow comapred to some other forums I have been on. Some people deliberately bait others just for fun. Strange sense of fun in my mind. I don't visit those forums anymore.
    I find people here genuinely helpful but if they disagree, then they are prepared to say so, often with reasons, not just a blanket statement.
    On the occassion when someone has made a comment that could have been interpreted as being aggressive, I've usually received a PM to explain their position or to reassure that nothing bad was intended. A good way to go.
    Graham
    I agree with you Graham. I have recently stopped visiting a couple of other photographic fora which "turned bad" as a result of the very thing you mention.... people who lurk around waiting to snipe at anyone who asks a simple question, in order to show off their superior knowledge (even when they're wrong!). I have found this forum, so far, to be different and I sincerely hope that it remains that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty View Post
    I agree with you Graham. I have recently stopped visiting a couple of other photographic fora which "turned bad" as a result of the very thing you mention.... people who lurk around waiting to snipe at anyone who asks a simple question, in order to show off their superior knowledge (even when they're wrong!). I have found this forum, so far, to be different and I sincerely hope that it remains that way.
    If I may ramble for a few lines about why I first came to CinC.

Prior to joining this site I used another forum which started out as just a bunch of enthusiasts trying to help each other, but soon degraded into a few bullies dominating everything.

There was considerable competition over which of the semi pros could post the most perfect photos and beginners, who wanted to learn, just felt excluded. In fact, unless you had a considerable portfolio of nudes on the site nobody seemed to take you seriously.

Instead of questions about 'what is the best way to edit this image?' They became more about 'I gave Joe Bloggs a score of 80% for his last photo but he only gave me 70% and my shot was better!'

Eventually, a novice was being 'ripped apart' for asking one of those 'silly questions' which are so important to beginners. He replied that he just wanted to learn and thought the replies to be excessively personal.

One of the more moderate contributors mentioned that 'You need to have a thick skin to participate on that forum'.

And I thought, 'No I don't; I don't have to be here'. So although that dispute didn't concern me, it was enough to persuade me to look elsewhere.

So, nobody should be afraid to post imperfect photos or ask 'silly questions' here at CinC. Often it is those questions which produce larger numbers of replies, and many photos which aren't absolutely perfect are of really interesting subjects.

Real Name
    Kevin

I completely agree with Geoff. This is my 3rd forum, and the first I've seen that almost without exception demonstrates grace, maturity, and a sincere interest in seeing fellow members evolve from beginners to excellent to exceptional photographers. All levels are represented, and each seems to remember where they started. I thank you all, and sincerely hope it continues in the way you created it.

Kevin

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

In life there are really very few silly questions, but I have noticed many more silly answers.

WW