Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Dancing with smoke

Real Name
    Graham Heron

Dancing with smoke

My most recent project. Still trying to find my vision. (Or do I still need spectacles? )
    CnC welcome.
    Graham

Dancing with smoke

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Dancing with smoke

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamH View Post
    Still trying to find my vision. (Or do I still need spectacles?
    Nope, looks like your vision is pretty good to me!

Good work.

Real Name
    Mal

I like it. My one comment would be about where her legs end - I think you need to see her feet or crop a bit higher up.

Real Name
    Graham Heron

Thanks Donald and Mal.
    I agree about the crop. We played around for a while with the skirt height (originally floor length). After the shoot, on closer inspection, I think I needed the skirt to be a couple of inches higher.
    Including the feet I always felt that the image needed to flow out of the frame. Inclusion of the feet would tend to limit that feeling. Or so I think.
    Original inspiration here - http://www.ethan-t-allen.com/smoke-anime.html.
    Obviously far better than my attempt.

I struggle with the artistic vision everytime. Does it get better with time?
    As Ansel Adams said (paraphrased)- a fuzzy concept leads to a fuzzy image. A zone that I still feel that I am well within.

Graham

Real Name
    Mal

Thanks Donald and Mal.
    Original inspiration here - http://www.ethan-t-allen.com/smoke-anime.html.
    Obviously far better than my attempt.
    I disagree - you're not that far off. I think the difference (aside from the technical bits) is purely the expression of your subject's face. If you can encourage a more natural expression (doesn't matter what type), I think that would probably complete what you did.

I struggle with the artistic vision everytime. Does it get better with time?
    As Ansel Adams said (paraphrased)- a fuzzy concept leads to a fuzzy image. A zone that I still feel that I am well within.

Graham
    The trick, at least from my perspective, is to shoot what you love. Think of it as a subject that you talk about - could you talk about a subject you didn't really enjoy and hold the interest of others while doing it? If you talked about a subject that you love however, I'm sure you could capture people's attention quite easily and hold their attention for hours.

That doesn't necessarily mean you don't go exploring other areas of photography - but when I'm feeling uninspired I go back to shooting what I really enjoy. For me that's bugs, surfing, and people that are just doing their thing.

Real Name
    Brian

For me the image of the woman is decent, but the unnatural look of the added smoke I don't like, especially where it cover the woman.
    That's just my opinion. I'm sure many others like it.