Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: My first contribution

My first contribution

Hello all.
    This shot was taken while walking along a trail. The doe did help by posing and not running off immediately. C & C welcome. Thank you,

My first contribution

Camera: Canon Rebel T2i
    f/5.6
    1/320 sec.
    ISO-200
    Focal length: 250mm
    Aperture priority
    Auto WB

Re: My first contribution

Very nice. How did you get her to pose under the sprig of green?
    Tim

Thank you Tim,

It just worked out lucky. I did bump up the saturation a bit to bring out more of the green, as there isn't much color this time of year.

You have a lot of out of focus foliage there, Don, although probably not your fault.

So I would like to crop quite a bit from the right side, which will mean changing the width/height ratio, but will concentrate more on the intended main subject.

Real Name
    Jack R Mann

Well done don, and i agree with other comments. welcome !!

Thanks much for the comments everybody. I see getting rid of some of the brush on the right would clear out some clutter, leaving the doe more of the focus of attention.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Don,

I would try a crop of both left and right sides so the central part is framed by the trees on either side.

You can't crop too tight or the stuff in front of the doe will become too obtrusive.

A good start, hope to see more.

Welcome to the CiC forums from ....

Real Name
    Gary

I think what you have captured is that unique moment when you encounter wildlife unexpectedly.

Cheers for now

Gary

Real Name
    Wendy

Hi Don: as per your request in a PM here is a quick rework of your shot.

My first contribution
    Staring%20Doe%20Thirds%20smaller-2 by Wendy FS, on Flickr

The adjustments were done in Lightroom 3 as follows.

White Balance +10: This is purley personal preference as I tend to like warmer tones. In hindsight this adjustment may have totally ruined the true atmosphere of the shot. You are the one who was there and it's your shot so that decision Must be Yours.
    Recovery: 7: just a few blown highlights
    Fill Light: 17: to get more light on the face of the doe, but again is this really what you saw?
    Tone Curve
    Lights: +3
    Darks: -21
    Shadows: +20

I used the adjustment brush around the white hairs on the eyes and ears with +20 brightness to make the face stand out more.

I would also crop as mentioned above by Dave and Geoff

It would be very helpful to know what Post Processing software you are using and also to know if you shoot Raw or Jpg. If you are using Elements, I can point you to some very helpful threads here at CiC on resizing and sharpening that will also help you a lot. I had a terrible time doing any Post Processing at all until I was helped here with a process for resizing and sharpening.

Hope to see more shots soon, don't be shy, you will find everyone here very helpful, but they can't help unless you post and ask specific questions.

Wendy

Hi Wendy, Thank you so much for the feedback. I do like the edits you put on it. It is much clearer. I didn't think I had any blown highlights, but do see some now. Currently I am using Photomatix Pro 4.2 and Photoshop Elements 10. I did not have the software at the time I was working with this one though. Thank you so much for your time and efforts!

Don