Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: A PP atempt to get an acceptable result

Real Name
    Eugen

A PP atempt to get an acceptable result

The original shot had the moon blown out badly and it was just too dark and without good contrast.
    I did a little bit of cloning around the moon to fix two unrecoverable bits, then I tried to bring a little bit of contrast/light by adjusting levels. Finally a little bit of burning/dodging.

It is not a great image but I am happy because I managed to save it (it won't look very good if zoomed in too much but that's OK; if I will ever print it, it won't be too big).

I remember when I took the pic, I tried to get the moon and the clouds around - because of the full moon, I couldn't get a good exposure for the clouds without blowing the moon beyond any recovery so I decided to go for a compromise to get a bit of clouds and a bit of moon.

Well, here it is - if anyone has any suggestions/comments I would be more than happy to listen to them.

A PP atempt to get an acceptable result

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: A PP atempt to get an acceptable result

A hugely difficult image to capture successfully. The dynamic range is so broad.

The only way I've managed to get a decent moon into a landscape is by firing off two frames - one for the moon and one for the rest of it, and then blending. This is an example of that.

But the challenge with that is that the moon moves so fast, blending becomes a bit of a task in itself.

Real Name
    Eugen

Re: A PP atempt to get an acceptable result

Your example is a beautiful one Donald, you've got that spot on
    I get often frustrated with my PP skills because the data is in the raw file but I can't manage to get it right - guess I'll learn ... in time.