Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Motor racing shoot

Real Name
    Mark

Motor racing shoot

Well, I did my first proper commercial shoot last weekend. It was quite a bit different to just cruising along and taking shots for myself. I found I was hustling all day to be in the right place at the right time. Post processing was also quite hectic, working to a deadline. Here are some of my shots.

Motor racing shoot

Motor racing shoot

Motor racing shoot

Motor racing shoot

Motor racing shoot

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Re: Motor racing shoot

Hi Mark,

Looks like you had a lot of fun

Only thing I didn't like is how the motion blur you're applying has eaten into the front and rear of the first shot -- to my eye it just doesn't look right that the distortion should be there.

Real Name
    Kerry

Great shots Mark, well done They all look fantastic.

It seems to me, Mark, that the problem with this sort of shot is the same as photographing propellor driven aircraft.

If your shutter speed is fast enough to avoid motion blur you freeze the wheels.

At least with aircraft, a speed of around 1/200 to 1/300 is a reasonable compromise that usually works.

The alternative is a steady pan with a suitable shutter speed (whatever that happens to be) but certainly not an easy shot. I have seen good results from this method though; but not from me!

Having said that, the basic photography is OK; sharp focus and good exposure.
    Last edited by Geoff F; 26th February 2012 at 08:10 PM. Reason: spelling

Real Name
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    It seems to me, Mark, that the problem with this sort of shot is the same as photographing propellor driven aircraft.

If your shutter speed is fast enough to avoid motion blur you freeze the wheels.

At least with aircraft, a speed of around 1/200 to 1/300 is a reasonable compromise that usually works.

The alternative is a steady pan with a suitable shutter speed (whatever that happens to be) but certainly not an easy shot. I have seen good results from this method though; but not form me!

Having said that, the basic photography is OK; sharp focus and good exposure.
    Thanks for the comments. The first shot was not motion blurred out the camera. It was done in PP. I was pushed for time and I quite liked the illusion of speed from an artisitc point of view so I left it at that. I did another one where I motion blurred one layer over the other and then applied a gradient mask to only blur the back end. The ideal shutterspeed to give good motion blur of the background and the wheels was 160th to 200th. The shots below show this effect well. As you can see the cars are pretty sharp.

Motor racing shoot

Motor racing shoot

Motor racing shoot

Real Name

Hi Mark,

I've been thinking about this ...

Perhaps the "unwritten rule" might be if it's an "artistic" shot - perhaps a composition like you did in a previous series, then motion blur on the car looks part of it, but when it's a "race shot" the brain kinda expects totally sharp car but with blurred background. Not sure if I'm making any sense!

Real Name
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Hi Mark,

I've been thinking about this ...

Perhaps the "unwritten rule" might be if it's an "artistic" shot - perhaps a composition like you did in a previous series, then motion blur on the car looks part of it, but when it's a "race shot" the brain kinda expects totally sharp car but with blurred background. Not sure if I'm making any sense!
    It makes complete sense. But I think we sometimes apply too much left brain (at least I do). The average punter probably wouldn't be too analytical. By the time I finished all the PP on all of these my mind was jelly and all I saw was cars, cars, cars..... I need a break. I'm going back to landscape for a while.

Real Name
    Tommy

The 5th shot appeals to me on so many levels!

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Markvetnz View Post
    I need a break. I'm going back to landscape for a while.
    I must admit to feeling much the same way - last model shoot I had (for most of the day) ...

1. Model

2. Model's best friend

3. Makeup Artist

4. Assistant

5. Wife

6. #1 Daughter

7. #2 Daughter

8. Another (female) photographer

Oh how I yearn for the days when it was just me and my camera -- alone somewhere!

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

My main concern is that someone needs to drop a word in the sponsor's ear to tell him (it's got to be a 'him') that those young women look daft prancing about half-naked in that gear.

They probably need the money and the sponsor is quite happy to objectify them. Rant over.

Real Name
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    My main concern is that someone needs to drop a word in the sponsor's ear to tell him (it's got to be a 'him') that those young women look daft prancing about half-naked in that gear.

They probably need the money and the sponsor is quite happy to objectify them. Rant over.
    Now, now Donald. They looked much better in real life!! They seemed to be quite happy and having a great time. I got talking to one of them and she was a pretty (literally) intelligent Russian lass. Please don't join the hairy arm pitted, sandal wearing feminist brigade . We've just had a huge fuss over here because one of our esteemed All Blacks was photographed bottle feeding his baby daughter. Every militant, breast feeding, ball-breaking feminist came out the woodwork. Personally I've never figured how a bloke is supposed to breat feed a child. Rant Over.

Real Name

Nah - they're just trying to get the sexy photographers like Mark and me to photograph them!

In all seriousness, I'm getting to know quite a few rather attractive young ladies from various shoots, and I'm almost ashamed to admit that I've been a little guilty of assuming things at times, only to have to remind myself as I got to know them better that all are far more than just "eye-candy" (I hate that phrase actually); almost without exception they're nice people with great personalities - and often with insecurities that I have to give them credit for when they put those aside to appear in public like this. I don't know any that do publicity appearances like this "just for the money" (ie "hate it, but do it for the money anyway).

More interestingly - having spent many hours in public with them - I have to say that I have far more respect for them then I do for the many male members of the public who like to ogle them (and worse) with little sense of subtlety.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    More interestingly - having spent many hours in public with them - I have to say that I have far more respect for them then I do for the many male members of the public who like to ogle them (and worse) with little sense of subtlety.
    We're right on the same hymn sheet there.

No-one ever said you had to be female to be a feminist!

Real Name

We're right on the same hymn sheet there.

No-one ever said you had to be female to be a feminist!
    Yeah, well contrary to popular opinion, the rumour isn't true. (A) It wasn't me, and (b) I haven't worn high-heel shoes since I was 6!

Actually (on a more serious note) - what the "oglers" don't seem to get is if you treat these young ladies as people rather than just "eye-candy" - you get the privilage of getting to know them - earning their respect - spending time with them - being friends with them - having them join the family for lunches / dinners / movies / laps around the go-kart track(!). It's a zillion times more rewarding than the "3 seconds of eye-candy" that so many seem to settle for.

Or maybe I'm just finally growing up as I grow old
    Last edited by Colin Southern; 23rd February 2012 at 11:26 AM.

Real Name
    Brian

Mark, photo #2 is awesome.
    There isn't a single thing I would change about it, and I NEVER say that

That second series of shots is excellent.

Real Name
    james

I see nothing wrong with 5 or the women in it , they are wearing more than most summer olympians. When I look at those girls I dont see sex objects, for some reason I am thinking of some good ol' kentucky bourbon. No, when I look at 5 I see an image well composed and expertly exposed.By the way Mark that is some great work !

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by jamn4ex View Post
    I see nothing wrong with 5 or the women in it , they are wearing more than most summer olympians. When I look at those girls I dont see sex objects, for some reason I am thinking of some good ol' kentucky bourbon. No, when I look at 5 I see an image well composed and expertly exposed.By the way Mark that is some great work !
    What you're supposed to say is "wow - look at those sexy bodies - the curves - the lines - they're just so beautiful - I want them - I want them so bad ... just a pity there's those darned women in the shot too"!