Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Winter Portraits

Real Name
    Myra

Winter Portraits

It was incredibly and brilliantly beautiful in central Nova Scotia yesterday. Not wanting to stay inside, I threw all the rules of when to take photographs to the wind and arranged to meet with a friend at her stable at 1:30 in the afternoon. Despite almost blinding ourselves with the sun and snow (even the horse was squinting), we had a great time and managed to get a few shots to capture the day (without the grimaces caused by the glare ) I truly do no like winter, but yesterday was the exception. C&C always welcome.

All shot with Canon 40D. First two with the 85 f/1.8; third one with the 70-210 f/4, aka "the grandpa lens" as it's the oldest one I have

Winter Portraits
    8296 FB by M.J. Hencher, on Flickr

Winter Portraits
    8286 FB by M.J. Hencher, on Flickr

Winter Portraits
    Nose to Nose FB by M.J. Hencher, on Flickr

Real Name
    John

Re: Winter Portraits

Myra, these are really great. You can really see the attachment and connection the horse seems to have with your friend. Beautiful photos!

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

What made the first impact was the richness of colour and tone you have got into the horse's coat. It's gorgeous. And then, as John says, the closeness of the relationship between woman and horse just oozes out of each of them.

On the third one (which is an exceptional study of the link between a person and a horse), I wondered what it would have been like of you had been round to the left a bit so that we saw some of the lady's face and maybe her eye looking at the horse?
    Last edited by Donald; 21st February 2012 at 11:35 AM.

Real Name
    Myra

We're on the same track, Donald I had to do quite a bit of pp on this one as the sun was just to the right of this shot and was creating a lot of shadow.

This is a four year old Quarter Horse/Standardbred horse. Yes, there is a really nice connection between these two even though the connection is only about a year old. Lisa has always had a way with horses and kids

The sun for light and the snow for a natural reflector made all the colours more vibrant. It was such a wonderful day.

Winter Portraits
    Taking a Moment FB by M.J. Hencher, on Flickr

Real Name
    Tricia

I am no expert but my favorite is the second one. Colors are snappy and the story is evocative.

Real Name
    Mal

It's a lovely series Myra. Very well done.

Real Name
    Myra

Thank you! I am blessed to have great friends. Happy that the camera has captured the essence of their mutually respectful relationship.

It is almost as nice out today, but no time for photos. Spring is only a month away!

Real Name
    Paul

Very nice series Myra. All very well done and I am sure your friend is quite pleased. The camera didn't capture it, you did. The camera is just the tool you used.

Real Name
    Peter

I love the eye contact, well done Myra.

Real Name
    Graham Heron

I assume that these are the mane pictures you took on the day.

Graham
    (just horsing around)

Real Name
    Myra

Hay, the photo shoot was a tail of unbridled passion.

Bad joke: What does Myra love about horses? They have canon bones! (They really do... front lower legs! Graham, I just realized that when thinking up a reply to saddle you with.)

Oh, it's early. I have to hoof it off to school....see what you started<BG>?