Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More birds

Real Name
    Paul

More birds

Give me a little slack guys, had to have a quick play at lunch today. So here are a few more bird shots from the new glass. I knew I struggled with my budget lens but the difference is so much more than I thought. Can you tell???? I am a little excited!

Eurasian Wigeon
    More birds

Female Ring-necked
    More birds

Northern Shoveler
    More birds

American Wigeons
    More birds
    Last edited by jeeperman; 22nd February 2012 at 01:21 AM.

Real Name
    james

Re: More birds

Great reason to be excited. I should be buying a new lens in a couple of weeks (fingers crossed) I am thinking of getting a canon 200 2.8 I am thinking that lens with a 1.4 teleconverter.

Real Name
    Paul

I hear a lot of people like that combo. Gives you a nice walk around lens when not couple with the teleconverter. Good luck, hope it comes together for you!

Real Name
    james

Well its kind of a budget deal also, I own a 400 (used mostly) but its A 5.6 , I am thinking those morning deer would be better shot with a 200 2.8 because of light issues . also I want to fill that 200 range I also have a 50 1.4 that would benefit the use of a teleconvertor . Correct me if I am wrong in my thinking but the 200 would become a 290 and the 50 would be an 85 and if I wanted to manual focus my 400 would be 560 0r so. Well the lens idea is going over better than the jeep (with my wife that is) pleaase let me know if you see a flaw in my reasoning... remember I am a newbie

Real Name
    Paul

James, your thinking is sound...so much as you remember that you will sacrafice some light and maybe a little sharpness with the TC. Some love them and some hate them. Now I would also check and make sure your 50mm will even except a TC as I am unsure. Your #s are close and I am not sure about the 200mm but believe the 400mm jumps to about 600mm with the 1.4 TC. I have not done much looking into TCs myself for no other reason but not yet needing it.

Also, the 200mm you talk about, which one? I am thinking with this you would not need worry about trying to use the TC with your 50mm. Maybe look into getting a wide angle to cover the rest. I don't know my canon lenses, I am sure there are many here that can more adequately offer advise.
    Last edited by jeeperman; 21st February 2012 at 02:34 AM.

Real Name
    Bobo

Excellent shots again.

I have a 1.4 Kenko DGX TC. Works fine with the 50/1.4, the 17-50/2.8 Sigma, works okish with the 70-300/4-5.6L (somewhat soft). Up to f8 AF should work just fine as long as you are focusing on something contrasty.

But with a full frame the softish issues with TC attached seems to go away. Not sure why.

Real Name
    Paul

Thanks Bobo.

Real Name
    Steve

Great shots again. You have a great selection of waterfowl. Is the top one a redhead?

Real Name
    Steve

Nice job on these paul. Number 1 gets my vote due to the background.

I must have missed something, what lens did we get? Congrats on the new glass, you're doing a great job with it.

Real Name
    Paul

Thanks Steve S, you must have missed the "Happy Boy" thread I posted. It was the first days shots with the new 70-400G from Sony. Here...Happy boy!

Stinky Steve, sorry had too.....Yes, although the lighter breast threw me a bit, Are they not normally darker breasted?

Real Name
    Steve

Thanks. I was not sure as we don't see too many Redheads in NJ. I did not think it was a Canvassback.

Real Name
    Mavourneen

Really sharp, love the colors. So natural. What lens did you buy?

Real Name
    Paul

Thank you. Actually posted it two posts up, but it is the 70-400G Sony. I am really enjoying it.

Real Name
    Peter

Looks like you had a nice play there Paul.

Real Name
    Paul

Thanks Peter, where ya been buddy?

S. Steve.....correction, I knew that light colored breast gave me pause for a reason. There is also a white strip down the center of the head. He is not a Redhead, he is an Eurasian Wigeon.

Real Name
    james

LOL well Paul you did it , you managed to post ducks and not get blasted... thanks to you and Bobo I think I know what I am going to do bout the lens, My theory has always been to buy the best Lens that I can afford (upgrade camera later) . Btw those are beautiful ducks I like 3 best.

Real Name
    Paul

LOL! I know look at that two full threads and not one.....oh ducks again. The third is a Northern Shoveler. I think the fact that they are not the standard Mallards that you have to run out of your yard regularly has something to do with it. There are still a few I have yet to get.

Real Name
    james

I think it has something to do with the quality of the shots. and I say keep em coming!

Real Name
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by jeeperman View Post
    Thanks Peter, where ya been buddy?
    Hi Paul,

Last year was one of transition and I think I am coming to an end. We sold the house in the city in November with a January settlement so with getting the house ready for sale, the open for inspections and then moving I have been a bit distracted. Also moving form the city to the country internet communicatoin has been difficult to re-establish. It is not perfect but I think I now have a solid connectoin that will not fall out on me but it is not the fastest.

I retired from finance on September 2011 and now only do photography - markets, workshops and lectures at the local community education centre AND LOVING IT. I am starting to get some phorography work locally as well.

I hope to have more time to get online again, as I missed the community but sometimes you have to take a step back to move forward. Good to see you are still here and I hope to post some new images soon.

Go the ducks.

Real Name
    Paul

Glad to here all is well Peter and congrats on the retirement/new endevors! I hope you get some time to just sit back coffee in hand , feet up on the porch and just take a deep breath......ahh...you have made it. Enjoy it Peter and then get busy and post some work! lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast