Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: What's the deal with dxo 7?

Real Name
    Steve

What's the deal with dxo 7?

I downloaded a free trial (dxo 7)and every time the dxo exported file hits dpp(that is where i store my files), dpp shuts down. I think the dxo file is corrupt and shuts the program down instantly. The only way i can get it to work again, is delete the entire file the photo is in, and then everything is fine. Any clues what could be going on? Everything was fine a few hours ago, and now i can't edit a single image.

Real Name
    Russell

Re: What's the deal with dxo 7?

Hi, Only suggestion I have is un_install it and try again, I had this problem when I tried DXO 6.5 I think it was on a win 7 machine used to get so far in develope then crash so I changed course to try OnOne software.
    Russ

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve S View Post
    I downloaded a free trial (dxo 7)and every time the dxo exported file hits dpp(that is where i store my files), dpp shuts down. I think the dxo file is corrupt and shuts the program down instantly. The only way i can get it to work again, is delete the entire file the photo is in, and then everything is fine. Any clues what could be going on? Everything was fine a few hours ago, and now i can't edit a single image.
    Restore the PC back prior to the install of DxO and try again?

Real Name
    Steve

I think i'm getting somewhere...........the bad file is exported from dxo as a tiff. After dxo edits the photo, it sends a copy of the edit to dpp. I then finish my edit in LR and PS and save again. For some reason, when the tiff file from dxo hits dpp, it makes dpp crash (not any other program).

If i export dxo as a dng, it won't send a copy of the file to dpp(only to LR) and everything is fine. Not shure what is corrupting dpp ,in the dxo tiff file.

I really need to clean house on my computor and let LR start storing my files. (but i like the view and quick levels adjustments of dpp, for reviewing my photos.)

Real Name

Glad to here you're getting somewhere Steve, although I must admit to being a little confused as to why you're using DxO when you have PS (and thus presumably ACR?)

Real Name
    Neil

I use DxO & CS5 and find DxO a much better raw converter than ACR in that, for me, it gives a less noisy Tiff that just seems "nicer"

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Neelly View Post
    I use DxO & CS5 and find DxO a much better raw converter than ACR in that, for me, it gives a less noisy Tiff that just seems "nicer"
    Hi Neil,

To each their own for sure, but (a) I did wonder why you're getting noise in the first place, and (b) I would be very surprised if ACR couldn't handle it just as efficiently, assuming you're using an up-to-date version. I have to admit that when I tried DxO I found it rather "clunky" to use

Real Name
    Neil

Hi Colin I only get noise with high ISO on the 7D but when I do DxO seems better at smoothing it without losing detail, not that I'm saying ARC (latest version) is poor at all, its just for me DxO is better. I am still trying to get used to the new way of working with ver 7, old dog new tricks, springs to mind but for batch processing I find it really good.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Neelly View Post
    Hi Colin I only get noise with high ISO on the 7D but when I do DxO seems better at smoothing it without losing detail, not that I'm saying ARC (latest version) is poor at all, its just for me DxO is better. I am still trying to get used to the new way of working with ver 7, old dog new tricks, springs to mind but for batch processing I find it really good.
    Hi Neil,

The usual reason for high-ISO noise is under-exposure. With high-ISO settings the dynamic range that the camera can handle is reduced, so you can't afford the luxury of a 1 to 2 stop safety margin (under-exposure) than most folks enjoy at lower ISO settings. Get the exposure right and you shouldn't normally have any noise issues.

Real Name
    Neil

Hi Colin Yes I always ETTR but when you are struggling for light, reason for the high ISO, its difficult, for me anyway, not to under expose sometimes in order to get a shot at all. As I say normally the 7D gives excellent image quality, in spite of what all the pixel peepers DPR say!!