Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Extreme Post-Processing - when does photography become graphic creation?

Extreme Post-Processing - when does photography become graphic creation?

This image started out as a fold in some clothing pegged out on the washing line. As I played around in GIMP I was wondering at what point photography becomes a graphic creation as opposed to a photograph. Any thoughts or comments?

Extreme Post-Processing - when does photography become graphic creation?
    Last edited by Wirefox; 5th June 2009 at 07:14 PM.

Real Name
    David

Re: Extreme Processing

Hi Wirefox - great image. I don't think there can be any hard and fast rule about graphic creation versus photograph. What seems to me to be important is the intent of the image creator. What are you trying to say with an image? If the image looks like a photograph and it conveys the message - great, if it looks like a graphic creation but still conveys the message - great. I think digital imaging has given us the ready means of expression in numerous directions so I tend not to worry about classification as others may have done in the past.

That's a bit of a ramble, but it's breakfast time and I've got low blood sugar.

Cheers

David

Re: Extreme Processing

I personally think the majority of photographs come under creative umbrella since they are all somewhat influenced by the photographers intention, shutter speed effects, aperature/bokeh etc etc. Obviously some are more surreal and some photorealistic looking (but even then often don't mirror reality exactly). For me it's more of a smooth gradient from one end to the other than boxing off as realistic and creative. Obviously the exception is in the likes of forensics and other situations where there is the same single purpose to make an accurate record.