Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Worm's Eye View

Real Name
    Peter

Worm's Eye View

Canon 70-200mm F4L IS with 20mm extension tube.

Worm's Eye View

Re: Worm's Eye View

I dont wanna sound like a leek,,but isnt putting an extension tube on a zoom lens....pointless?

and did you touch the ground with your L lens...Sacrelige !!!!!

Real Name
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by kevinbythebeach View Post
    I dont wanna sound like a leek,,but isnt putting an extension tube on a zoom lens....pointless?

and did you touch the ground with your L lens...Sacrelige !!!!!
    Kevin,

An extension tube on a zoom or come to that any other lens decreases the closest focus point enabling shots like this. It was actually the hood that was resting on the ground and as this lens is one of Canon's L series I had no qualms doing it

Peter

Extensions can often serve a purpose especially if you don't have the correct lens with you, or can't afford one. Because it enables a zoom to get a bit closer I have successfully used a 25mm tube on my 70-300 at 300 to photograph nervous insects from about 3 ft. A correct lens is always best but tubes enable you to travel a bit lighter.

Lying in the mud is all part of the fun of macro photography. Ideally, it is possible to squeeze your fingers or other object between the camera and soil to prevent contamination of your equipment.

The daisy white petals do appear a fraction over exposed. Partially white, or yellow, flowers are an exposure nightmare. I try to spot meter then under expose a bit. While this may prevent the highlights blowing it will mean a bit of editing to the midtones to regain a good balance.

Even worse is attempting a dark insect sitting on a light coloured flower.

Real Name
    Chuck Nelson

I like it...has a soft look and feel. I sometimes use extension tubes with zoom lens to get the distance and look I want. Is there any possibility of pulling a little more detail out of the flower in focus?

I just played with it a bit an pulling out more detail didn't do the overall image any favors.

Chuck
    Last edited by CNelson; 6th June 2009 at 05:34 PM.