Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: My Grandson's Swim Meet

Real Name
    Audrey Olsen

My Grandson's Swim Meet

This is my first attempt at posting a pic for critique. This is our future olympian Evan!.

My Grandson's Swim Meet

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: My Grandson's Swim Meet

Audrey

It will help people comment if they know the Exif info. I see it is:
    EOS REBEL T2i, Lens: EF70-200mm f/4L USM @ 200.0mm. ISO 3200. 1/400 @ f4. Matrix metering mode. Auto white balance. Aperture Priority (semi-auto)

Real Name
    Audrey Olsen

Thanks Donald for adding the Exif info. Can you explain how you came by this info and how I would add it in any future posts?

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Audrey

When you captured the photo that info (and a lot more besides) was captured on the file at the same time. With a lot of post-processing packages that information stays embedded in the file all through its journey, including into the jpg version that you posted on here.

There are downloads you can get for browsers that will read Exif information that's embedded into files. I use Netscape browser and there are a number of downloads available. Then it's just a case of me right-clicking on your picture and choosing 'View Exif Information' and up it pops in a separate window. I can copy that and then paste it into a message, as above.

So, with your images here on CiC it will always be available to someone who knows to right click and who has a browser able to read the info. But some folk don't have that. So, I think it's helpful to take the basic details and post them up under the image when you post it:
    Camera & lens. Focal length shot at (if a zoom). ISO setting. Shutter speed and aperture. Any filter used on the lens. The metering mode and white balance setting are not so critical, but can be helpful if a person is asking for specific comments about, say, exposure.

Real Name
    Audrey Olsen

Donald, thanks for the explanation. There's no end to the things you can do in this day and age.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

That's the Exif sorted out. So what about the image?

I like the composition-the fact that he's swimming into the frame; i.e. space on the left. Whether you intended it, or whether it's a consequence of not beign able to get above 1/400th, I like the slight movement blur on his hand as it comes over and on the water trailing from it.

But obviously you were shooting at the limit. It's in a situation like that that you crave a faster lens.

Real Name
    Mal

I like the composition as well. I really like the intensity you can see in his eyes. I think though, that the image needs a bit more exposure. It looks a shade on the dark side.

Real Name
    Audrey Olsen

Donald, I like the blur of his hand and water as well but it was purely unintentional. A faster lens would be nice(don't shoot much indoor sports to justify the way higher cost)

Mal,Thanks for pointing out the intensity in his eyes. I hadn't noticed it before. I've never needed to use such a high ISO before and have since learned that I should have overexposed by 1/3 stop to deal with the resulting noise.

Thanks for your comments, much appreciated.