Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Caravela

Caravela

Marine animal ( Physalia physalis ), known in Brasil as "caravela".
    Although the bag is small, the tentacles can measure 20m in length. Reaching humans, they cause damage by releasing a toxin.

Caravela
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 11th February 2012 at 07:21 PM. Reason: fix italics tags

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Caravela

There were two threads with the same name started. The other one has been deleted.

Real Name
    Mal

We call these "Blue Bottles" in Australia. I hate them with a passion - they are the only thing that will keep me out of the surf and have caused several of my limbs to have swelled up over the years.

Just with your photo, it seems to me that the photo of the Caravela itself isn't quite sharp. It seems like the plane of focus is actually on the sand rather than on your subject.

Real Name
    Kevin

Lucio and Mal,

That appears to be what we call a "portuguese-man-of -war". I got wrapped up in one a few years ago- thought I'd left ample clearance behind its sail (wrong) and spent a miserable few hours. But the pain was NOTHING compared to a sting ray puncture that I subsequently was treated to- that was breathtakingly unbelievable. I've never looked at the ocean quite the same.

Real Name
    Mal

Quote Originally Posted by kdoc856 View Post
    Lucio and Mal,

That appears to be what we call a "portuguese-man-of -war". I got wrapped up in one a few years ago- thought I'd left ample clearance behind its sail (wrong) and spent a miserable few hours. But the pain was NOTHING compared to a sting ray puncture that I subsequently was treated to- that was breathtakingly unbelievable. I've never looked at the ocean quite the same.
    I've heard it called the Portuguese Man of War as well. And on stingrays, we lost an Australian icon to a stingray barb that went through his heart. I'm in the middle of getting my open water at the moment so I have a feeling that I'll be staying away from the stingrays!

Real Name
    Kevin

Mal,

I have spent several months of accumulated time doing open water dives (mostly in the caribbean) and never had a problem. I ran into both the man-o-war and the stingray walking on beaches in Florida- and feelng safer than I should have, and not watching. My diving days are over, I envy yours just beginning.

Kevin

OK, Mal.
    Thanks for help!!