Thread: Long ears

Real Name
    Bobo

Long ears

Finally a good day to go out and about and came back with a variety of themes though as always the prime purpose is birds. If a story can be told, so much the better.

Though it may not look it, the lighting -was- terrible. These guys are so well hidden that unless you know for certain that they are in a particular location then good luck trying to finding one.

But in another location that we were scouting for something else we noticed traces and after carefully going over something like 20-30 different trees we found a new one. But he was even worse lighted and the pics came out okish but not good enough to post. It was exciting though to know of one (possibly more) at a new location the no one else knew about.

Hope you like these.

Long Eared Owl.

Ho, who goes there? I was sleeping...
    Long ears

Ahhh, humans with cameras, back to sleep...
    Long ears

But... I'll be keeping an eye on you...
    Long ears
    Last edited by Bobobird; 8th February 2012 at 06:20 AM.

Real Name
    John

Re: Long ears

Still worth the capture even if the light didn't work for you. Are you working on a "Big Year"?

That crossing branch rather spoiled the first shot, although it does 'set the scene'; but the other two are good, and from an unusual angle as well.

Real Name
    Bobo

Thanks John, I wish. They will have gone far north in a month or so and just hopeful of getting one without all those branches/twigs in the way. Wont be easy though. Then there are a couple of other species that have so far eluded me.

Thanks Geoff, yes I did try cloning out the branch but it was too much for my limited skills.

Real Name
    Gurvinder

Hi Bobo,
    Nice shots...
    You have captured a nice series...
    I was just wondering why does left eye seem sort of blurred in the third photo? Have you noticed it?
    Regards,
    Gurvinder..

Real Name
    Bobo

Thanks Gurvinder.

Yes I noticed that. I think it is from very diffused light being reflected into that area. Tried to fix it but not much improvement so left it alone. Maybe will retry later and see if result is better.

Could also be due to a finely diffused shadow from the overhead branches. Guessing of course and have no idea what is causing this. Source images are almost the same.
    Last edited by Bobobird; 8th February 2012 at 06:02 PM.

Real Name
    Bobo

Found another pic that might be marginally better in the blurred shadow area.

Long ears

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Bobobird View Post
    Thanks John, I wish. They will have gone far north in a month or so and just hopeful of getting one without all those branches/twigs in the way. Wont be easy though. Then there are a couple of other species that have so far eluded me.

Thanks Geoff, yes I did try cloning out the branch but it was too much for my limited skills.
    With the strange weather patterns we are seeing the predictions are that anything is possible within the next coming months.

Real Name
    james

Bobo I love these, The feather color and detail looks good and I really like the talons in the fore front . Great job.

Real Name
    Bobo

Well hopefully there will be some heavy snow. Probably everyone will curse me for wanting that hehe

Real Name
    Wendy

Nice going Bobo. These are excellent. I'm sure there must be some of these owls in my neck of the woods, but I'd have no idea where to look for them or what to watch for. Even if I did I probably would not have the patience required to get shots like this. Very well done!!

Wendy

Real Name
    Bobo

If you know there are owls in the woods - look for white poo down the sides of the trees and lower branches. From below they will look slightly darker then the surrounding foliage much like a beehive. Yes, patience will find them.

Just remember they spook easily so no flash or they will be forever gone.

But each species behaves differently but generally poo is the most reliable indicator.

Real Name
    Clive

Hi Bobo,
    You got the shots, well done. I like the last one and as mentioned the feather detail and texture plus the talons are well captured. For a series that is wild and not staged you done good.

Real Name
    Bobo

Thanks Clive. Shooting in the "wild" is so much more fun - almost like an unguided safari. We never know what to expect and have to be ready be it a butterfly or an eagle. You wont believe how many shots I have lost because the camera/lens was doing one thing and suddenly something requiring entirely different gear turns up.

Prior to taking up photography the same time that I spend out in the open was spent on a treadmill - how fun is that!!!

Real Name
    Myra

I love the expressions you've caught. Owls are so interesting! Not sure if we have many in the wild in Nova Scotia or not. I know there are a few at the WildLife Park, and they usually have animals and birds that have been injured and need a permanent home.

Real Name
    Bobo

Not to worry Myra - you should have lots. The further north the more you should have. Most of what we get are from the annual winter migrations. Of course there are the resident owls but I have yet to see any except these long-eared.

But I am hopeful of catching all the visiting ones if the luck is there.