Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: A little bit of work done here using Photplus x3

Real Name
    Garry Carter

A little bit of work done here using Photplus x3

Taken when using an incense stick, then manipulating using the software.

Any comments appreciated

A little bit of work done here using Photplus x3

Re: A little bit of work done here using Photplus x3

Until recently getting Adobe CS5 I used that Photo Plus X3 software, Garry. I found it to be a competent and logical to use programme which is capable of producing the sort of complicated work you have demonstrated here.

I then tried their X4 but didn't like it. That version seemed to me like a direct copy of Photoshop but not as good. Then, after trying CS5 I found that I was getting slightly sharper images and better colour. Only slightly better, but noticeable; however it is a massive price jump for a slight improvement.

The selection/extraction tools in CS5 are a considerable improvement, but only worthwhile if you do a lot of that sort of thing. The other big disappointment I always found with Serif Photo Plus software was a rather poor Raw converter. So I ended up using Raw Therapee for my Raw conversions.
    Last edited by Geoff F; 8th February 2012 at 11:06 AM. Reason: spelling

Real Name
    Garry Carter

Thanks Geoff.
    I've had x3 for a few years now and didn't get x4. I then asked about upgrading to x5, but can not as I don't have x4! To be fair though, they did say if I called they could do me a deal.
    I've also used gimp, but found I preferred to use my x3.
    As you say, the photoshop stuff is too expensive for me and I can't justify the price for someone like me who just likes to 'play' with my images. Maybe if I were selling my images, then I would invest in something more expensive.
    Anyway, thanks for the comments.

By a strange coincidence, Garry, I just had a sales call from Serif, so they must be on another sales drive. Photo Plus version X5 now, but I don't have any personal experience with it.

Have you seen the Photo Plus Forum? A bit like CinC but only deals with Serif software.

http://forums.serif.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10

I always found the best strategy was to read up on the problems that other people were having with the new software then ask some awkward questions. Let them convince you by offering a trial run at a massively reduced price.

I always found they were eventually willing to take whatever I thought their product was worth.

Recently though, I found that they were adopting a more forceful sales pitch which I didn't like. Eventually, I purchased their latest desktop publishing programme because the salesman repeatedly assured me that it was fully compatible with Excel.

It wasn't, so eventually I managed to get my money back.

Don't get me wrong though, I have an earlier version of their Page Plus desktop publishing software and, as an ex printer myself, I like it. But I now needed something which was compatible with Excel. Finally got Open Office for that particular purpose, and that was free!.

Real Name
    Garry Carter

Will give your idea a go with Serif! Thanks.
    When I bought x3, they also persauded me to by drawplus x3, which is okay, but again, I don't use it that much.
    Also thanks for the link to the forum - I didn't know it existed, so will go and have a look at that now.

Quote Originally Posted by gazzman View Post
    When I bought x3, they also persauded me to buy drawplus x3, which is okay, but again, I don't use it that much.
    I have found that the Serif sales team have become a lot more forceful recently; not the friendly little telephone chat which it used to be. As such, my recommendation would be against actually registering anything which gives too much personal details like e mail addresses.

As freebie software from them, I got Draw Plus 6 but found that, for me, having Photo Plus and Page Plus I didn't really need anything else. Movie Plus 5 was another one which I haven't used yet.
    Last edited by Geoff F; 9th February 2012 at 07:38 PM. Reason: spelling