Thread: Street Shot Thoughts

Real Name
    Kevin

Street Shot Thoughts

Hi all,

I have always liked this shot I took in Barcelona, and have edited in several ways (this one inspired by Don McCullin/Bill Brandt). Would like to improve it, and would appreciate any thoughts and suggestions. Thanks for viewing

Kevin

Street Shot Thoughts
    Last edited by kdoc856; 7th February 2012 at 03:47 PM. Reason: spelling

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Re: Street Shot Thoughts

Hi Kevin! This shot reminds me of the cobblestone streets in the town where I was born.

The dark rough look, entrance to the underground, and the woman sitting on the street convey a sense of her last days as she is waiting for God to come for her.

Then you spot what appears to be white Styrofoam cup in her hands and the entire image vanishes and is replaced with one of someone on their way to work, having their coffee and perhaps reading a book while waiting for the bus.

To me, the former view is far more poignant and compelling. Depending upon the emotion you want the viewer to experience, you may want to decide whether it is better to keep or remove the cup.

If you remove the cup, I would also tone down the shoe buckles to help convey the sense of foreboding.

If you keep the cup, I would consider a color version as (at least for me) experiencing life is far more colorful than what can be conveyed in the somber shades of gray.
    Last edited by FrankMi; 7th February 2012 at 02:02 PM.

Real Name
    Richard

I really like this shot! I wonder how it would look with a slightly different crop and aspect ratio; with the dark portion of the wall at the right of the image cropped out. Just a thought!

Real Name
    Kevin

Frank,

Thanks so much for your thoughts. The cup has been an issue- I felt I should keep it as she in truth has been reduced to begging, and I'm not sure I want to introduce any color, but I could certainly darken it to remove the glaring distraction. You described very nicely the utter despair and submission I was reaching for.

Kevin

Real Name
    Kevin

Richard,

Thanks for viewing. I have a version with the crop that you suggested. I liked it, but didnt feel it yielded the sense that I (as the photographer who actually did step around the corner and interrupted her vigil) had passed through a door into her closed world. Maybe I'm overthinking this?

Thanks,

Kevin

Real Name
    ruby

Kevin,

LOVE this image, Makes me ache for her. I think you have the knack for B&W- I cant see past color.

Congratulation on this

Ruby

Real Name
    Kevin

Okay, here's a re-edit focussing on suggestions from Frank and Richard. Thanks, Ruby for your kind words

Street Shot Thoughts

Real Name
    Frank Miller

I think you have captured the essence that you were looking for. Without the bright buckles and bright white cup, plus moving in closer, you have dramatized the hopelessness of this human spirit. A very moving image.

Real Name
    Kevin

Awesome! Thanks so much, Donald and Rchard. That's exactly what I was striving for. I think I'll keep both cropping versions, they speak slightly differently a similar message.

Kevin

Real Name
    Richard

Now that I see both crops, I like each of them equally, although they seem to be very different images...

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Kevin,

These aren't my cup of tea, which makes me perhaps more critical - or just no help at all (and you'll regret sending that PM asking me to comment!)

I think you have a 'fight' going on between the texture/detail of the stones and the woman - they are both competing for attention as being 'the subject' and in the second version, the woman is losing; her patterned head scarf has nearly merged into the wall.

I wonder is there's a way to selectively treat the stonework? Just to hold back on the contrast a bit, hopefully without it looking falsely 'grey'.

However, the woman is somewhat larger in the frame in version 2, so that helps.

I didn't like the large black wall on the right of the first, but the curve of cobbles in lower right corner is sadly missed in the second version.

HTH,

Real Name
    Mal

I like the shot itself but agree with Dave about the textures in the stone wall over powering the woman. Composition wise the majority of lines in your photo lead to her - excellent job there. But once I focus on the wall my gaze gets stuck there examining its detail.

Real Name
    Kevin

Thank you, Dave and Mal

I'm glad you both commented, as the opinions of those we respect should be carefully considered, even if not totally in agreement. That wall for me is powerful also, it's hard, sharp and its contrast for me reinforced the light and darkness of this women's life. I appreciate what you see, but it works for where I was going, I think. Thanks for viewing and commenting.

Kevn

Real Name
    Mal

Quote Originally Posted by kdoc856 View Post
    Thank you, Dave and Mal

I'm glad you both commented, as the opinions of those we respect should be carefully considered, even if not totally in agreement. That wall for me is powerful also, it's hard, sharp and its contrast for me reinforced the light and darkness of this women's life. I appreciate what you see, but it works for where I was going, I think. Thanks for viewing and commenting.

Kevn
    It is absolutely your story and vision and regardless I think what you have is a fantastic capture.