Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Night shots in the apple orchard

Real Name
    Bob Murphy

Night shots in the apple orchard

Tonight i went for a walk around an apple orchard not too far from my house and was trying to capture the awesome shape of these trees. but im not too sure i was successful.
    i know the sign kinda ruins the shot, it was the only corner tree that would give my the agle i wanted on the moon..
    C&C welcome

Night shots in the apple orchard

Real Name
    Kevin

Re: Night shots in the apple orchard

Hi, Bob

Couple of thoughts: agree the sign has to go, as well as the extraneous light at the far left. Tree shots are tough- you just about have to isolate one of them against a very plain or simple background to avoid an obscuring and distracting "busyness".

Looks like you used an ultra wide lense given the degree of distortion. I personally just cant get my head around anything less than about 12-14 mm- the perspective distortion gives me hives.

Dont know if you were going for an intentional moon flare or was just the cost of the exposure length for the tree branches. You might do this shot with 2 exposures, for each the moon and the tree and combine them in layers.

You picked a tricky subject there.

Cheers,

Kevin

Real Name
    Myra

Re: Night shots in the apple orchard

Bob, if you cropped your photo so the branches seem to cradle the moon, I think that would look after your sign issue while creating an interesting image. My eyes are really drawn to the light that reflects from the branches. Cutting out most of the left side of the photo (as suggested above) would allow more focus on those branches.

Myra