Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Early morning - wide wide angle

Real Name
    Graham Heron

Early morning - wide wide angle

Love my new lens (Tamron 10-24mm).
    Currently my favourite (and how long will that last).
    I love the way it gets so much more in and changes the importance of a given element. In this case the clouds. My 18mm just doesn't hack it. I expected to like the extra wide view, but I'm astounded at how much more I like it. I'm seeing so many more shots that I did before.
    Taken f4.5, I wanted the blur top left as a focal vignette so focus was towards bottom left.
    Graham

Real Name
    Mal

Re: Early morning - wide wide angle

Looks like you're going to have a lot more fun with that lens I like the cloud detail and I think i would have preferred to see the left not blurred. Not sure whether it's my tablet monitor or not but the bottom appears to dark to me - I can't really make out enough tones or details to hold my interest in that area of the photo.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

To be brutally brutally honest Graham, I find that UWA lenses used without some significant "up close and personal" foreground detail seem to have that "vanishing point" perspective, but that's about all; in my opinion, there's just not enough detail visible to be pleasing, and I normally only use them like this when I'm "painted into a tight corner".

I normally suggest choosing a foreground object and then using the lens to get agressively close to it, whilst still maintaining a respectable FoV. Eg (taken at 16mm on FF, so 10mm on a 1.6x CF Camera)

Real Name
    Tim

I like Colin's comment, I think that is right, unless you have a massive mountain at that distance. I am not sure I am sold on a hump of seaweed and clam shells as a focal point though but the background (and foreground) lays out nicely.
    Last edited by tameigh; 7th February 2012 at 06:49 PM.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by tameigh View Post
    I am not sure I am sold on a hump of seaweed and clam shells as a focal point though but the background (and foreground) lays out nicely.
    Um, it's actually a rock (I don't think clam shells would stick too well to seaweed ).

Interestingly, it's not one of my personal favourites, but others seem to like it. Perhaps this one is a better example?

Real Name
    Tim

Yes it is

The sweep of the composition from the foreground rocks to the mountains past the boat is impressive.

This looks like it would be a great picture in a large format.
    Last edited by tameigh; 7th February 2012 at 07:24 PM.

Real Name
    Pierre

UWA lenses take some getting use to. I remember the first time I looked through the view finder I was wondering what I was actually looking at - until I realized it was my feet- LOL!
    I also like the perspective that can be had with this creative lens and I am sure as the days go by you will see how to use this lens better and better.

BTW: I love the clouds and color you have in the image.