Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Snow makes everything look pretty . . .

Real Name
    Kathy

Snow makes everything look pretty . . .

It is amazing how a blanket of snow can make everything that we take for granted everyday just so much prettier!! Comments and Advice are welcome!

Kathy

Real Name
    Joe

Re: Snow makes everything look pretty . . .

Lovely images Kathy, I remember will having lived in New Hampshire for 58 years. Although now I will take 75 degrees and sunny replacing the snow with beaches.

Real Name
    John

Glad you are enjoying the weather and yes it does make everything look magical.

Real Name
    Wendy

Looking good Kathy, The third one is my favourite. I think you are really improving with your shots. Every time you post I think they are getting a bit better. Now I'm being really nit picky, but on that third one, if you could have just gotten the tops of the branches it would have made such a difference.

I like the first shot too, but is it just my screen or is there a bit of a green tint to it especially the foreground snow under the trees.

Keep enjoying the snow, and keep it up with the great shots. I think you should be very happy with how far you have come with compostion and Post Processing. Sorry about the nit picking but..... well, you know how it is, just can't help myself.

Wendy

Real Name
    Kathy

Quote Originally Posted by ScoutR View Post
    Looking good Kathy, The third one is my favourite. I think you are really improving with your shots. Every time you post I think they are getting a bit better. Now I'm being really nit picky, but on that third one, if you could have just gotten the tops of the branches it would have made such a difference.

I like the first shot too, but is it just my screen or is there a bit of a green tint to it especially the foreground snow under the trees.

Keep enjoying the snow, and keep it up with the great shots. I think you should be very happy with how far you have come with compostion and Post Processing. Sorry about the nit picking but..... well, you know how it is, just can't help myself.

Wendy
    Wendy,

First of all you are not nit picking, you are being very helpful! Thank you for looking and for the compliments, I do believe my photos are becoming a bit sharper (I am using my tripod more, I think that helps), composition -- well sometimes I think I just get lucky! The 1st photo does probably have a little green tint to it -- I uped the green satuation a little to bring out the green in the tree and may have uped it a little to much. I think I am cropping my photo's a little to tight to fill the frame and finding myself cutting off the top of the photo's, something I will need to be more observant about.

The second photo I like, but was wondering if I would have cropped it differently if that would make it better, maybe more of a vertical crop rather than horizontal??

Thanks again for the good advice and compliments!!

Kathy

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Kathy O View Post
    The second photo I like, but was wondering if I would have cropped it differently if that would make it better, maybe more of a vertical crop rather than horizontal??
    Before getting to that question, Kathy, I wondered if the snow on the second one needed 'whitening up' a bit. Do you think it looks a bit gray and drab. If you were to adjust that tone I think it might make the image more vibrant.

As for the composition and how you crop it, obviously we don't know what the whole frame looks like (assuming that this is, itself, a crop). As it stands at the moment, I think there are possibly two portrait-oriented crops that you could make, each resulting image featuring one of those two trees in the foreground. But I don't dislike how you've presented it here.

Real Name
    Bobo

It sure does. Very nice.

Real Name
    Kathy

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Before getting to that question, Kathy, I wondered if the snow on the second one needed 'whitening up' a bit. Do you think it looks a bit gray and drab. If you were to adjust that tone I think it might make the image more vibrant.

As for the composition and how you crop it, obviously we don't know what the whole frame looks like (assuming that this is, itself, a crop). As it stands at the moment, I think there are possibly two portrait-oriented crops that you could make, each resulting image featuring one of those two trees in the foreground. But I don't dislike how you've presented it here.
    Donald,
    Thanks for your comments, comparing the second photo to the other two I do think you are right about the snow--I will do some playing around with that. I do think I am going to go back in and experiment with the crop, but I think I will let it sit for a while and come back to it, it is one of those photo's that I like but seems to be something off about it (maybe it is the snow). Thanks again for the advice.

Kathy

Real Name
    Allison

I find living in a snow belt, there is a lot that I tend to take for granted..like freshly fallen snow, and how it glistens in the trees and weighs down the branches. It's breathtaking if you stop and just appreciate it! You captured this wonderfully! Beautiful photos!
    Allison

Real Name
    Kathy

Quote Originally Posted by JakeKait View Post
    I find living in a snow belt, there is a lot that I tend to take for granted..like freshly fallen snow, and how it glistens in the trees and weighs down the branches. It's breathtaking if you stop and just appreciate it! You captured this wonderfully! Beautiful photos!
    Allison
    Thank you Allison!! Snow sure is prettier than the drab brown dead grass underneath it!

Kathy