Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Boston After Dark

Real Name
    Tom

Boston After Dark

Boston After Dark

I shot this last October, This was my first attempt at "night" photography. The exposure time was 18 sec at f14. I welcome all comments.

Thank you

Real Name
    John

Re: Boston After Dark

Hi Tom,
    I like this picture and the way it's framed.
    If I was really being critical I think the buildings need a 'very' slight clockwise rotation or perspective correction, as they are slightly leaning to the left, IMHO.
    But a great night-time shot all the same. Thanks for sharing.

Real Name
    John

Tom, great pic. Makes me miss Boston, I went to school in Cambridge, MA. The other Cambridge, for our friends across the pond.

Real Name
    Bob R

The building on the right (looking at it) is slightly cantered all the rest left are dead on. And that is being really picky. (I put a grid on it). I think it is a great picture. Even the tree frames it well and usually you have to get rid of something like that, but this seems right to me.

Great picture.

Real Name
    Chris

Level, correct distortion, remove nasty little dust spots and next time, shoot it for a few less seconds as this one seems a bit "over-cooked." When I go to the blackbox and enlarge the image, I can see where the lights have gone fuzzy. Generally, if the structures are sharp, it indicates too long an exposure. I would think with as many lights and closer to dusk than midnight, 6-10 seconds might have been sufficient.

Personally though, after holding a few pieces of paper against the screen, I think I would remove the tree; partially crop then clone the remainder.

At the moment I find it distracting and prefer the clean lines of just foreground rails and distant buildings.